Unique away messages?

Callipygous

i use AOL instant messenger, and something i would really like to be able to do is put up different away messages for different people, so when my brother says hi, hell get a message specifically for him, whereas if my friend leaves a message it will tell him something different.

im curious if any of you have seen a mod (like deadaim) that will do things like this. if not, im curious if any of you know how things like deadaim work well enough to know how to make something like this.

i know some java and C++, but not enough to really be up to a task like this. ideas i have been thinking about include making a mod like dead aim, or using some kind of packet sniffer to catch them as they come in and just send out a different message for each one, leaving aim out entirely.

unfortunately i dont know how to do either one. can anyone help me with this?

My AIM Ultimate-Profile that I used to work on and host would do this for a profile. All you'd have to do is say

[sn=SN]Whatever[/sn]

and your specific message would show up. Of course, you have to click a link with target="_top" so it's not like you can mod your own away message in the "root" message field. I don't do much application codding (esp after I moved to Linux...I have to learn everything all over again) but you could...use that character that IM recognizes as "input viewer here"...%n or something. Anyway, you could use that (even a high-level call) to find out who's viewing your away message and if it matches, echo something special for them to see. Even check it against an array if you want several friends to see it.

use that character that IM recognizes as "input viewer here"...%n or something. Anyway, you could use that (even a high-level call) to find out who's viewing your away message and if it matches, echo something special for them to see. Even check it against an array if you want several friends to see it.

i know how to use %n in a profile, i dont know how to apply that to an away message in a way that it would change anything except the screen name.

"Even check it against an array if you want several friends to see it." what do you mean?

If you were actually thinking about modifying the code. I persoanlly cant help you there but I'm sure their website could help you out some.

If you could identify the call to %n and how the program displays away messages I'm sure it could be pulled off.

However, I think IM doesnt know if somebody has viewed your away message. It's probably sent be whatever server your connected to and if you edit your message then it uploads the new one.

Yeah, you might want to do some research because it could be impossible locally.

If you were actually thinking about modifying the code. I persoanlly cant help you there but I'm sure their website could help you out some.

If you could identify the call to %n and how the program displays away messages I'm sure it could be pulled off.

However' date=' I think IM doesnt know if somebody has viewed your away message. It's probably sent be whatever server your connected to and if you edit your message then it uploads the new one.

Yeah, you might want to do some research because it could be impossible locally.[/quote']

i was thinking more along the lines of an addon like deadaim. so when they look at their buddy list it wouldnt even show a message, but if they say something it will automatically respond with a message corresponding to their name.

Oh. That's not an away message but an autoresponder.

I don't mod my AIM so I couldn't tell you. There are bots that do that, though. Like, you dont even need it; find one, register, and you can send buddies IMs even if your off. That way you can tell a friend "I'm going to the movies at 8" while you're away.

But no, sry. If my other computer was up I could give you some links that would have this kind of information (deadaim stuff, not bots).