Prime numbers determined by frequency

MountainGuardian

I came up with this idea almost forty years ago after a science class lesson teaching about sound frquency interaction with different materials. My adoptive mother had been diagnosed with brain cancer and was under going radiation therapy which was having some pretty horrible side effects upon her. I immediately thought about the idea of using two seperate sound waves tuned to those specific cells to destroy the tissue rather than using radiation which has such a harmfull effect upon surrounding tissue. As a fifth grader there was only so far I could go with that thought experiment, but the idea of frequency and sound was strong on my mind.

Not long after that we learned about prime numbers and the difficulty in generating them and that at that time there was a $50k reward for anyone who could come up with a formulae for determining prime numbers.

I began to think of numbers as frequencies, and from that I realized that as a frequency a prime number was a wave form of 1 and itself but no other wave form would be in harmonic resonance with it. With that I figured there should be a fairly easy way to distinguish this, not with a mathematical formulae but with actual frequencies themselves. Again in fifth grade there was only so far I could go with this thought experiment and no adult seemed able to comprehend what I was talking about.

In this day and age we have the computer power to simply generate prime numbers without any real trouble so this is a rather mute thought experiment. My little brother is fairly decent at programming and actually made a program to test my theory about ten years ago and it was really quite cool, it works incredibly well though would require a supercomputer and some amount of time just as our current methods of determining prime numbers.

If anyone here has programming skills and has the interest you might find it fascinationg to try this out, heck you may even come up with a better more efficient way of doing it than we did.

I took and created a wave form 1/2 unit high to 1 unit wide, then waveform 1 high 2 wide etc on through. Prime numbers will only have the 1st wave and themselves crossing each other at the number, the rest all have more than that, with the exception of number two which has just itself and the first wave crossing over each other at the line. We generated up to around the number 50,000 but it was taking a couple hours for each generation at that point and getting significantly longer with each generation and becoming siginificantly harder to visually see the primes as the scale became finer and finer.

I have no interest in messing with this any more, but I thought maybe someone else might, so I put it out here...

Edited by MountainGuardian