Fashion, entropy and personality

Why do we prefer smart attire?

A suit with a tie and shoes to match.

Jeans with a trendy tee-shirt and sneakers to match.

How do marketing companies capture the public sentiment so well in their adverts ?

Why do we look down on people who dress slovenly ?

Why is ragged attire not the norm (not discounting hygeine, of course) ?

Any pointers ?

• 2 weeks later...

Why do we prefer smart attire?

Not all of us do. I walked from an appointment on Buckingham Palace Road to St James's Park this morning and the majority of people I passed would not be described as smartly attired; perhaps I just hit a seam of scruffs but I think in reality most people now have the flexibilty to dress for comfort and style rather than just smartness.

A suit with a tie and shoes to match.

Jeans with a trendy tee-shirt and sneakers to match.

Again - not universal. I was relieved when I got back from my morning meeting and changed out of my suit to the messiest clothes I have.

How do marketing companies capture the public sentiment so well in their adverts ?

They don't - the idea is to change the minds of a small and focused target audience.

Why do we look down on people who dress slovenly ?

You might - but again this is a very sweeping statement if it is meant to cover all societal opinion.

Questions like this can only really progress from a tightly defined and well researched foundation. Your question is not that; it is personal and unreferenced.