Deciduous vs Evergreen trees - which can store more carbon?

Hi, I am new to this forum … :)

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why deciduous trees can store more carbon compared with evergreen trees? I think it may have something to do with non-structural carbohydrates.. but I am not positive.

Any info would be great!!

Thanks!

1. Are you sure that is the case? If so, where did you read that information?

2. Educated guess: over the lifetime of a tree the total mass of leaves generated by a deciduous tree exceeds the total mass generated by an evergreen. However, I can see this as likely applying only to conifers.

3. Although, if all else fails, check the facts - for example:

Deciduous species showed significantly higher NSCs than evergreens for all tissues; on average, the former had 11 % (leaves), 158 % (branch) and 103 % (sapwood) significantly (P < 0·001) higher NSCs than the latter.

From: Fajardo, A. et al "Similar variation in carbon storage between deciduous and evergreen treeline species across elevational gradients" Ann Bot (2013)

4. Have you tried googling evergreen deciduous "non structural carbohydrates" ? There is a wealth of information.

5. All very interesting. It looks as if educated guesses may be partly correct.

Yes, I have searched and found those articles. I tried to do as much research as a I could before resorting to a forum, seemed like the polite thing to do. :)

My professor at university also said that this is the case. I have found an article that does help me with the "Why", so I think I am good now! Thanks!!