Question about atmospheric optics

DylsexicChciken

So I get that light is scattered off when the sun's rays shine at sharp angles toward the surface of the Earth, which results in more longer wavelengths reaching our eyes and thus making the sky look red or orange.

But today there was a heavy, dark, rain cloud, but it wasn't raining where I stood and the cloud was few hundred miles away(when I checked a satellite map after I got home). In perspective, these clouds covered the eastern half of the sky I was seeing at around 4:00PM, and it looked almost like it was directly over of me. At the end of the eastern half of the sky, just above the horizon, are bands of reddish lights between the heavy, gray clouds covering the eastern horizon. Meanwhile the sky above me, behind the clouds is still bright blue daylight. So the sun hasn't set, and even if it did set, it would be reddish where the sun set and not the eastern end.

Anyone know what this phenomenon is and what is happening? Is the light bouncing off the rain clouds, is that what's causing this? It looks more like the light is coming from behind the clouds, but that might be a mislead observation.

X is approximately where I stood and the cloud is circled.

1ptpjn.jpg

Edited by DylsexicChciken