Shape of planetary orbital paths

matterdoc

Because we don't? You learn circular motion because it's simple and a necessary step in mechanics, and you can use it as an approximation, but it's not like elliptical orbits are kept secret. A google book search for "physics elliptical orbit" yields more than 38,000 results. How is that "perpetuat[ing] circular planetary orbits in all text books"?

I would go on to add that I was never taught that orbits were circular. In fact, I was taught in my introductory physics class in high school that they were elliptical - some more so than others. So...why the tin foil hattery?

I would go on to add that I was never taught that orbits were circular. In fact, I was taught in my introductory physics class in high school that they were elliptical - some more so than others. So...why the tin foil hattery?

Indeed, my dim recollection is that planetary orbits were used as an example to help us grasp what an ellipse was, how it differed from a circle and why it was important.