OIL RIG

Nikkinotgill

Hello :) This will no doubt be a very basic question, but I had a question about the following, which is in my text book:

REMEMBER ‘Oxidation Is Loss’ of electrons. The opposite of
oxidation is reduction, so remember OIL RIG, ‘Oxidation
Is Loss, Reduction Is Gain’ of electrons. Oxidation and
reduction always occur together; such reactions are known
as REDOX reactions.

My question, as this is part of the "what oxygen can do to other compounds": are Redox reactions only related to oxygen or can they be any loss/gain of electrons?

On the Science Forum we don't like to give "the answer" directly, since this does not help students to learn. However, I think you have grasped the principles involved here by the way you ask the question. So, I'll point you in the right direction - a wikipedia article - where I think you will find that your suspicions were correct.

On a side note, I understand many teachers object to the use of wikipedia as a source and certainly you should be cautious about what you read there - or anywhere. But articles on mainstream concepts like redox reactions are generally sound: and the references at the foot of the page let you check more established sources.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your studies.