Will .Net run Java out of the market?

RichF

I've worked with both IBM's WASAD J2EE and Microsoft's C#/VB.net development environments. While I love the idea of open source and nonproprietary software solutions, I can produce the same product in half the time in .Net. Java is progressing but will it be able to mature before .Net takes the market place from it?

IBM or Microsoft...An instructor I had once said "Just who is the evil empire and who is the rebel alliance; the lines are too blurred to be drawn."

So, can Java compete or is .Net destined to rule the net?

Thanks,

Rich

Cadmus and I were just talking about this in the Java thread next door.

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9302

It's an interesting question. Certainly the momentum is on Microsoft's side, especially with a new version of Visual Studio making huge waves right now amongst Java devs who are participating in the beta test, from what I hear.

I think the Java folks are going to have to start combining their efforts more thoroughly. They've already started doing this somewhat with projects like Eclipse, but they need to get more big companies on board with their deep pockets.

While I love the idea of open source
Good for you.
Java is progressing but will it be able to mature before .Net takes the market place from it?
Surely you jest.
An instructor I had once said "Just who is the evil empire and who is the rebel alliance; the lines are too blurred to be drawn."

So, can Java compete or is .Net destined to rule the net?

Spoken like a true Bill Gates fan. I think that your professor either has Microsoft stock or he is pulling your leg.

I think the Java folks are going to have to start combining their efforts more thoroughly. They've already started doing this somewhat with projects like Eclipse, but they need to get more big companies on board with their deep pockets.
IBM, Oracle, Sun, Netscape, Novell, BEA, ... are not enough?

Surely you jest.

No I do not; I'm currently working in WSAD's J2EE environment and while I would like to see Java come out on top' date=' the development environment is lacking when compared to Visual Studio.NET's.

Spoken like a true Bill Gates fan. I think that your professor either has Microsoft stock or he is pulling your leg.

He was an instructor I had at a Java training session that I attended a year ago. The guy had a PHD in Comp-Sci and a masters in Psychology.

I tend to agree with Pangloss's assessment.

This is just an aside, but for what it's worth, I actually have a problem with people deciding not to use Microsoft technology *solely* because it's Microsoft technology, i.e. because they don't like Microsoft having a monopoly. I really think such people are missing the point.

Competition works if and only if people are willing to consider it. That's a *two* way street. If Linux or Java aren't going to work for me (and there are PLENTY of applications that Java is a poor language for), then I *need* that freedom to try a Microsoft solution.

Otherwise it's not competition -- it's just another kind of enforced usage. Why *wouldn't* that just lead to another kind of problem down the road?

Put another way, anybody who (and I'm not suggesting anyone here would do this) would praise people for trying Java or Linux, but chastise people for trying Microsoft, is completely missing the point of WHY we want people to try Java and Linux.