Simulating fire in a lab to improve success in germination for prairie plants

viviann118

In my plant science class, my group and I created an experiment that simulated fire to test success rates of germination in prairie seeds. The prairie seeds we tested were common milkweed, purple prairie clover, compass plant, and lead plant.

To start we placed the seeds in separated the four seed types as experimental seeds and control seeds. Then placed them in individual pots. The experimental seeds were placed into a plastic box and was saturated with smoke using a bee smoker. We continued added more smoke every minute for 20 minutes. In addition to the smoke saturation, we added ashes of switch grass into the soil. We watered the experimental and control pots then left them in a humidity chamber for two weeks.

Our results showed that the experimental plants had germinated in higher number than those without the smoke saturation.

What do you guys think about this? And what's another cool method of simulating fire in a lab setting?

What do you guys think about this? And what's another cool method of simulating fire in a lab setting?

I think you need to add heat, as the bee smoker is intentionally cool smoke to prevent harm to the bees. Infrared lamps perhaps?

You should check out the work of Dave Nelson. He works on the molecular mechanisms of these pathways which induce germination. To summarize, there are chemicals in smoke called karrikins which signal through the same genetic pathways as strigolactones (a plant hormone).

You would actually be able to mimic the effect by germinating seeds on media containing karrikins.