This is like other question I asked but..

grayfalcon89

Hi,

I have this one question left. This asks bit thinking so anyway, allow me to reveal it.

Question: How are respiration and photosynthesis connected? Why are they important to life on earth? What is the "big picture" of energy flow, as it is manifested in respiration and photosynthesis?

My answer (which I hope to be accurate):

Respiration and photosynthesis are connected that the energy (which is the sunlight) is first transferred by photosynthesis, forming glucose. Then glucose is used on respiration to form ATP. These two process are important because those two processes take energy from the outside, change the form that can be used to run the cell. "Big picture" of the energy flow is basically energy moving through the body (or inside) from outside.

hmm.. Last question seems insufficient..

Help!

Thank you

Hi,

I have this one question left. This asks bit thinking so anyway, allow me to reveal it.

Question: How are respiration and photosynthesis connected? Why are they important to life on earth? What is the "big picture" of energy flow, as it is manifested in respiration and photosynthesis?

My answer (which I hope to be accurate):

Respiration and photosynthesis are connected that the energy (which is the sunlight) is first transferred by photosynthesis, forming glucose. Then glucose is used on respiration to form ATP. These two process are important because those two processes take energy from the outside, change the form that can be used to run the cell. "Big picture" of the energy flow is basically energy moving through the body (or inside) from outside.

hmm.. Last question seems insufficient..

Help!

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

Energy doesn't cycle, its a one way flow. Your answer is pretty much correct.

If you think of energy in a food chain.

Sun->plant (photosynthesis)->used by plant in respiration

->animal->used in respiration

But if you mean inside one plant. Glucose is formed through a long process you don't need to know about. This is transported to the other cells (not in the leaf) via the phloem. The glucose diffuses into the cell (usually sometimes active transport is needed). It is then broken down into C02 and H20 in several stages. The energy released is then stored as the third bond on the ATP (adenosine triphosphate) molecule. The ATP then floats off into another part of the cell where it loses that bond and forms ADP (adenosine diphosphate). At each stage a big of energy is lost to the atmosphere.

If that's a bit confusing, don't worry. Basically you are right, although I don't quite understand your last sentance. Energy goes from the leaf to the rest of the plant, is used, then leaves the plant (usually as heat). Or in a plant it is ingested, goes into the bloodstream, then leaves as heat or as kinetic energy (if we use it to move).