• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bluelantern

bluelantern

Lepton

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

I'm finishing up an assignment for my pathophysiology class and am stuck on this one question:

Three patients are diagnosed with different types of cancer. One patient is a life-long smoker and has lung cancer, one has active Crohn disease and has colorectal cancer, and the other is a farmer with newly diagnosed melanoma. Other than the obvious thing, cancer, what do these individuals have in common?

The only thing that I can think of is that all three of these cancers are the result of carcinomas. Am I over thinking this question? I have a hard time believing that something so simple could be the answer.

Thanks for all your help!!!

#2 imatfaal

imatfaal

lazy do-nothing mudslinger

• Moderators
  • 4,264 posts
  • LocationSt James's Park

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:09 PM

I think you are correct that all three are epithelial cells carcinomas - but perhaps they are looking for a more aetiological guess. I would hazard that the connexion is the fact that these three different carcinomas have plausible/presumable external causes; smoking/crohns/xs uv exposure. But then my guess is, if anything, less technical and more basic than yours.

A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again.

- Alexander Pope

feel free to click the green arrow  ---->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users