How to calculate Km and Vmax without using a graph?!!

mark83

ok, the question is:

Calculate Km and Vmax for the enzyme reaction with data as below WITHOUT using a graphical method. (10 marks).

So all the data they have given is a 2 column table, time values that increase from 0 to 4.89(like 0, 0.052449965, 0.104970974, 0.157565146..etc) and the other column has concentration values that decreases from 70 to 1 (like 70, 69, 68, 67, 66..etc). i beleive this is the substrate conc. but i hav no idea, they wont tell me the concentration of what it is..maybe substrate, i have no idea.

so how do i calculate Km and Vmax for this without using a graphical method. what equations shud i use? at least give me the answer ill try to work it out somehow.

CHEERS!

If you already know how the graphical method works, you should be able to derive the formulas from such a graph. (Like a straight line with slope "a", not through the origin (0,0) will give something like Y = a*X + b).

There is no alternative way - the graphical method and formulas are essentially the same method.

Of course it's easier if you don't have to derive a formula - which is why I will give you the following: I'm not 100% sure that we're talking about the same thing but I have a strong feeling that you're dealing with "Michaelis Menten" kinetics here. That's a keyword that should give you some Google hits.

sorry for not answering your question - it's our forum policy not to answer homework questions.