coil gun diode placement

closetnerd

Hi. I'm building a coil gun. It's got 2 2700 uf capacitors at 400 volts each. I'm going to wire them in parallel. I also have 2 40 amp 600 volt rectifier diodes with an 800 amp surge rating (1N1190AR) and I don't know where to put them. I'm going to use 2 SCR switches (S6070WTP-ND) in parallel. I know I need to protect the SCRs from reverse current as well as the capacitors and the charging circuits. can someone please help me out?

I am assuming you are just trying to make a simple bridge rectified power supply with a pi filter..........

1)if the transformer is center tapped you can get full wave diode rectification but it will halve your voltage

if you need the voltage as is and ripple is not of concern, which I'm pretty sure is not the case here as you are trying to filter the output, then do a half bridge

both the two diode full bridge and the half bridge circuits can be found easily through google

2)Not sure why you would be connecting the voltage regulators in parallel you should be able to get one with a sufficient current rating(connecting two in parallel may be counter productive.) These tend to be placed in between the two capacitors connected in parallel. They are not connected in parallel with the two capacitors they are connected in series with the output. This is why it's called a pi filter two capacitors form the legs and the voltage regulator forms the tilda cap of pi!

this is all pretty basic so sorry if I misinterpreted your post but I'm not seeing the question any other way.:P

• 3 years later...

Hi. I'm building a coil gun. It's got 2 2700 uf capacitors at 400 volts each. I'm going to wire them in parallel. I also have 2 40 amp 600 volt rectifier diodes with an 800 amp surge rating (1N1190AR) and I don't know where to put them. I'm going to use 2 SCR switches (S6070WTP-ND) in parallel. I know I need to protect the SCRs from reverse current as well as the capacitors and the charging circuits. can someone please help me out?

protecting the scr s from the back emf from the coil start at the coil a few hevey current diodes in parralell across the coils inputs should do sometimes it be better to use an alternative than the scr .