Photo
- - - - -

Dissolving FeS2 (iron disulfide, iron pyrite)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 THX-1138

THX-1138

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationNA, Terra, in orbit around Sol at 1.0 AU, Milky Way galaxy, Virgo supercluster, Universe of Discourse

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:49 AM

I have some finely-divided iron disulfide, possibly mixed with some other things, that I wish to 'dissolve' away -- or at any rate remove from the mix. What would be a good way of doing this using fairly safe chemicals? (I.e., not concentrated nitric acid, although H2SO4 or HCl are possible.) Among the things that may be left behind are SiO2 and microscopic amounts of gold, neither of which I'm concerned about being affected by the solvents.

If I heat FeS2, won't it break down and leave me with elemental Fe and SO2? If so, perhaps then I could act directly on the iron and make it into a soluble compound that could be dissolved and washed away..

#2 olmpiad

olmpiad

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas, USA

Posted 4 July 2007 - 05:59 PM

Just react it with some HCl, the Fe will go into solution, and the S will be given off as H2S.
Am I Lost, Or Just Confused....

#3 YT2095

YT2095

Chemistry Expert

• Resident Experts
  • 16,959 posts

Posted 4 July 2007 - 06:35 PM

Heat It, it will Then decompose, most acids won`t touch it.

#4 THX-1138

THX-1138

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationNA, Terra, in orbit around Sol at 1.0 AU, Milky Way galaxy, Virgo supercluster, Universe of Discourse

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:55 PM

'S what I thought. However, I haven't been able to find any reference for the temperature at which it starts to break down. Any pointers?

Ta..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users