Photo
- - - - -

What's flame temp. of isopropyl alcohol!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ironizer

ironizer

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:14 PM

I've searched all over the place, and i can't find it. So does anyone know what the flame temperature of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol is?

P.S. Doesn't matter if it's 70%, 99%, or 100%

#2 RyanJ

RyanJ

Primate

• Senior Members
  • 2,254 posts
  • LocationDirectly above the center of the Earth.

Posted 11 March 2006 - 11:06 PM

Here is the quation for the reactioN:

2C3H7OH + 13O2 -> 6CO2 + 8H2O

Work out the \Delta H and you have your answer :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones
There are 3 kinds of people, those who can count and those who cannot.

#3 ironizer

ironizer

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:11 AM

I was looking for an answer in degrees, because i suck at chem. forumula calculation stuff :eek:

#4 Darkblade48

Darkblade48

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:14 AM

Wouldn't the flame temperature be dependent on the portion of the flame you are measuring (i.e. base of flame vs. tip of flame) and the amount of air/fuel ratio you have as well (i.e. lots of oxygen for a little bit of alcohol vs. minimal oxygen for a large volume of alcohol)?

#5 ironizer

ironizer

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:48 AM

just spraying some and burning it in regular air. I just wanna have a general idea, don't need anything exact. I just want to know if it's chemically possible to melt something with it, so a variation of +/- 50-100 degrees C won't do any harm.

#6 Immunologist

Immunologist

Quark

• Senior Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationMontréal, Qc, Canada

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:08 AM

At 99%, it is 53 celsius deg
http://www.sigmaaldr...arch.formAction

When looking for such info, look at the MSDS of the product, it is the Material Safety Data Sheet, delivered by producers of the product. Sigma-Aldrich produces almost anything (www.sigmaaldrich.com)

Good Luck!

#7 woelen

woelen

Primate

• Senior Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:35 AM

You cannot simply tell the flame temperature of any burning chemical. If you simply light some liquid, or when it is sprayed out into the air from a burner, there can be quite different temperatures. A nice example is the gas stove. The blue flames have a totally different temperature than the orange flames. So, it depends on how it is burnt.

However, in any case, the temperature will be at least a few hundreds of degrees Centigrade.

#8 YT2095

YT2095

Chemistry Expert

• Resident Experts
  • 16,959 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:05 AM

the only really accurate thing you could determine with this alc would be with a bomb calorimeter to find the energy value of combustion.

#9 ironizer

ironizer

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:31 AM

well, i saw those stats. that say for example gasoline can burn at 2400 degrees max, and natural gas like 3000 or something, because every flamable thing has a limit on high the temperature can get, i mean you can't make a 5000 degree fire with wood for example. I'm aware that the temp. depends on a lot of things like oxygen etc. but if isopropyl burns at around 50 C, dang, that's not even enough to make you say ouch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users