Photo
- - - - -

Lindlar catalyst - how does poisoning work?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MattC

MattC

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBerkeley

Posted 18 November 2005 - 08:04 AM

When an Alkyne reacts with H2 gas over a Lindlar catalyst, the reaction stops (according to what I have read, and what my professor has said) at the alkene - it does not proceed to the alkane, whereas with a catalyist like PtO2, it will reduce the element all the way down to an alkane (at least, in some cases, as I understand it). Is the difference in the mechanism the electophilic nature of the catalyst? Is a Lindlar catalyst electrophilic enough to attract a triple bond, but not enough to lock onto a double bond? The sources I have read talk about "poisoning" the catalyst, and this confuses me. Is it a different catalyst (a "weakened" palladium?) that nevertheless acts as a catalyst should (and is not changed at all in the process), or is something happening to the catalyist itself, reducing it's ability to function? The latter is how I have heard it described, but I suspect I may have misunderstood.

Thank you in advance for any help!

#2 insane_alien

insane_alien

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 10,094 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 19 November 2005 - 01:43 PM

When a catalyst is poisoned it usually means something has strongly bonded to the surface/active sites and therefore the reactants cannot be adsorbed and therefore the desired reaction cannot be catalysed. Poisoning materials usually include heavy metals like lead
Tired of waiting around for a reply on the forums? Use IRC, 'I don't know how' is no longer an excuse.

"Special" Relativity, stupid ideas seem smarter when they come at you really fast.

#3 MattC

MattC

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBerkeley

Posted 20 November 2005 - 03:13 AM

I am not sure, but I think the lindlar catalyst mechanism may be something else. Otherwise, using H2 gas and a lindlar catalyst on an alkyne would result in a combination of alkenes and alkanes; supposidely it results in alkenes, which makes me think that the catalyst works well on triple bonds, but not double bonds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users