how to unblock a sink chemically ?

fresh

Have you got a U-bend under your sink that you can access? Sometimes it is possible to unscrew a bolt at the bottom of the bend which is where there blockage can accumulate.

Have you tried a plunger?

no, the sink is with a straight pipe under it.

what chemical reaction will have between salt, soda and white vinegar ?

can i just mix them and pour it into the sink ?

no, the sink is with a straight pipe under it.

what chemical reaction will have between salt, soda and white vinegar ?

can i just mix them and pour it into the sink ?

I am not a chemist but I use vinegar and baking soda.

I let them sit for a good while and then flush them through with hot water.

Caustic soda is stronger but you have to be careful as it is a stronger reaction and it can be dangerous.

There are also proprietary products that have worked well in the past ,but as Fuzzwood says mud may not be affected by chemicals .

I have been known to poke a long rigid length of rubber oil carrying piping from tho outside of the house towards blockages in the kitchen but that may not work if you are not on the ground floor.

Did you try the plunger ?

Edited by geordief

the soda and vinegar will give off gas - which causes pressure to push through a blockage - much like using a plunger.... the salt is not needed (Salt is the product of an acid base reaction - it is the product of your vinegar/soda reaction)

You can by ;Mr Muscle Foamer' which is a 2 pack sink un-blocker which does the same thing. (Other products may be available).

PS - for hair - you should try to get it out with a coat hanger or something rather than using chemicals really.

Mud is a problem, but hair can be removed with caustic soda. Not the regular one. Do NOT use hot water in this process.

I am using caustic soda (NaOH) for this kind of job. The last time two days ago.

But you need to be sure what kind of material pipes are made of.

Because Aluminium pipes will react with it.

And too large amount (or too many times used) could destroy/damage them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FllkuxXM6cE

Edited by Sensei

I am using caustic soda (NaOH) for this kind of job. The last time two days ago.

But you need to be sure what kind of material pipes are made of.

Because Aluminium pipes will react with it.

And too large amount (or too many times used) could destroy/damage them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FllkuxXM6cE

it is plastic pipe. is it ok with sodium acetate ?

sodium bicarbonate + acetic acid -> sodium acetate + carbon dioxide

There is no reaction AFAIK if sodium chloride was present.

how much sodium bicarbonate and acetic acid we should use respectively ?

Er - the acid - base reaction that yields a salt is usually equal molar quantities for simple reactions, eg (1)NaOH + (1)HCl = (1)NaCL + (1)H2O

but that's not what you want to do with the sink - you don't want to conduct an acid base reaction between the products you put sown there as the reaction will yield a salt as a precipitate that could further add to the blocking (speculation). You want to EITHER use a strong acid or a strong base to pour in to react/dissolve the blockage away... if you put BOTH acid and base down the sink then they will react and you have essentially just put water and salt down there - which will do nothing.

However! I might be wrong - Just because I have never heard of putting both in at the same doesn't mean it doesn't help - I would just assume that you would want to just stick with the acid OR the base - I wouldn't put both down there as it seems a little pointless.

NaCl is water soluble. It shouldn't cause a blockage. Vinegar and baking soda is actually a very common method. It's cited quite often on a parrot forum I visit as a safe alternative to some of the more smelly options that would otherwise kill a bird. I believe the heat generated in combination with agitation from the bubble formation is what does it.

how much sodium bicarbonate and acetic acid we should use respectively ?

Typical bottle of vinegar here has 500 mL 10%.

So there is 50 mL of acetic acid in it. It has density close to 1.05 g/cm^3. So it's approximately 52.5 grams.

Molar mass of acetic acid is 60.052 g/mol.

52.5 g / 60.052 g/mol = 0.874 mol

Sodium Bicarbonate has ~ 84 g/mol

0.874 mol * 84 g/mol = ~ 73.4 grams of Sodium Bicarbonate is needed per 500 mL of vinegar.

sodium bicarbonate + acetic acid -> sodium acetate + carbon dioxide

And water molecule to balance equation.

NaHCO3+CH3COOH->CH3COONa+CO2+H2O

Edited by Sensei