Can we really touch anything?

Buket

Seriously? You've used that term twice in your last four posts. You sound like you are bored and have nothing better to do than see how long people will respond to you.

No I really wanna know what interaction actually means.

It means that the electric fields of one set of atoms interact with (repel) the electric fields of another set of atoms. This is what is known as "touching" or "contacting".

Is there a physical contact between electric fields during repelling?

Is there a physical contact between electric fields during repelling?

What do you mean by "physical contact"?

We are going round in circles. Please stop it.

If physical contact means that the electric fields of the atoms interact then yes.

It means that the electric fields of one set of atoms interact with (repel) the electric fields of another set of atoms. This is what is known as "touching" or "contacting".

Do fields add and subtract in the same way that waves do in interference?

What do you mean by "physical contact"?

We are going round in circles. Please stop it.

If physical contact means that the electric fields of the atoms interact then yes.

Ok I am stopping it.. Another question: we exchange photons between electrons during the interaction of electromagnetic fields.. Maybe we can call this contact or touch?

Ok I am stopping it.. Another question: we exchange photons between electrons during the interaction of electromagnetic fields.. Maybe we can call this contact or touch?

Virtual photons. This is just another description of the same thing.

The reason why I am asking this is that I would like to touch people I love and them to me but science says you can not do it technically:( maybe there can be some information that refutes the lack of intimacy between people..

The reason why I am asking this is that I would like to touch people I love and them to me but science says you can not do it technically:( maybe there can be some information that refutes the lack of intimacy between people..

I'm afraid you are going to have to accept the fact that you will never be able to touch anyone and that you will therefore never be able to achieve a complete emotional bond with the people you love (or scratch an itch for that matter).

Perhaps you can take up knitting.

I'm afraid you are going to have to accept the fact that you will never be able to touch anyone and that you will therefore never be able to achieve a complete emotional bond with the people you love (or scratch an itch for that matter).

Perhaps you can take up knitting.

You are cruel 😄😄 at least we exchange photons..

I think we exchange electrons too..

Heat can be radiated (infrared) and reflected light - but otherwise no if you mean anything to do with quantum field theory. The Electromagnetic force mediating boson is the photon - but the force carrying bosons are virtual only; they are a way of quantising the field and performing calculations.

Heat can be radiated (infrared) and reflected light - but otherwise no if you mean anything to do with quantum field theory. The Electromagnetic force mediating boson is the photon - but the force carrying bosons are virtual only; they are a way of quantising the field and performing calculations.

Also gluons between quarks?

I believe the gluon as messenger boson of the strong force, the Z and W meson of the weak, the photon of the electromagnetic, and the graviton of gravity are all virtual particles in the normal run of events. Some extreme circumstances can reify some of the gauge bosons - but I would presume this would be in (at least pairs) to conserve spin, momentum etc

Just before a certain supernova collapses into a black hole is the most appropriate situation i can imagine when atoms are "touching" for a period longer than instantaneous.

Alternatively, when particles accelerated in the LHC at Cern collide, I can imagine things are very close to each other at the instant of collision.

Just before a certain supernova collapses into a black hole is the most appropriate situation i can imagine when atoms are "touching" for a period longer than instantaneous.

Alternatively, when particles accelerated in the LHC at Cern collide, I can imagine things are very close to each other at the instant of collision.

I don't think we truly understand the process of collapse - but we do know that there are several intermediate states between material as dense as the atomic matter in the heart of stars, and stuff so dense that it collapses. Neutron stars are one such example - in those the amazing pressure has forced electrons and protons to fuse to form neutrons; ie all you have is neutrons forced into intense closeness. We believe that more pressure will force matter into a quark soup sorta thing. But these intermediate states might be bypassed when a star collapses - we just do not know. Not sure how many atoms there are at the heart of a star - pretty sure everything in there is ionized

As far as the human sense of touch is concerned, that is simply an electrical signal delivered from a sensory receptor along sensory neurons to the conscious part of the brain that then decides that something is being "felt".

Avoiding the topic of what is consciousness and where it comes from, the perception of touch can be deceived so that you can aware of touching something, but not actually be in close proximity with anything that might cause that perception.

Consider the itch you cant scratch or the phantom limb sensation.

When you pick something say a glass cup, a lot of "stuff" is transferred between you and the cup.

Lots of molecules of oils on the surface of your skin, as well as dead skin cells, live bacteria and other contaminants will be deposited on the cup.

The glass cup will probably be cleaner than your hand and not deposit much on your hand, as most of the glass molecules will be attached to other glass molecules that make up the cup.

Thermal conduction also occurs when you get close enough to feel you are touching it.

When you pick something say a glass cup, a lot of "stuff" is transferred between you and the cup.

Lots of molecules of oils on the surface of your skin, as well as dead skin cells, live bacteria and other contaminants will be deposited on the cup.

The glass cup will probably be cleaner than your hand and not deposit much on your hand, as most of the glass molecules will be attached to other glass molecules that make up the cup.

Thermal conduction also occurs when you get close enough to feel you are touching it.

Only oil molecules?