Can a user's account be deleted?

No. Every single thread in which you participated would suddenly make no sense if your posts all disappeared. Accounts don't get deleted.

You can choose to walk away and not return if you wish, but I hope you won't (especially not out of some silly notion of shame or pride). There's still more to learn.

You've clearly got some emotional stuff to process and need to partner with a qualified professional to repair some of your psychological traumas, but the membership here is probably more accepting and understanding and intelligent than most of the various cesspools you will encounter elsewhere on the net.

Don't run away out of pride. Instead, respect yourself enough to want to get better and to put in the effort required to do so. Recall that smooth seas do not make skillful sailors.

Edited by iNow

Not sure I follow. How is this forum adding to your problems?

Is this maybe about conversations here causing you to think about things you'd rather ignore, or to face ideas and thoughts you've been repressing and how that makes you feel uncomfortable, or maybe it reminds you of the volatility in your emotions or inability sometimes to control your anger, or perhaps something else?

Your comment here seem at odds with your most recent post in the calculus thread, for example: http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/99237-please-help-me-understand-calculus/

Just take some time to cool off if you need to. No one will fault you for it.

Edited by iNow

Its keeping me on the computer all the time. I'm doing poorly this semester because the subjects are too hard and I'd rather ignore them by messing around on the internet and being lazy than actually studying them.

Its too far gone for me to play catch up on calculus and c++ now. The semester is more than half way over, midterms are tomorrow and Friday, and I haven't even began the first step in delving into the material. I haven't studied even the first little bit. I'll fail them both. Depression has destroyed my energy and motivation to lifetime lows these past few months since this semester started.

I can't learn calculus, its too much. C++ is out of the question too. Pretty sad when computer science is my major.

Edited by Tampitump

Its keeping me on the computer all the time. I'm doing poorly this semester because the subjects are too hard and I'd rather ignore them by messing around on the internet and being lazy than actually studying them.

Its too far gone for me to play catch up on calculus and c++ now. The semester is more than half way over, midterms are tomorrow and Friday, and I haven't even began the first step in delving into the material. I haven't studied even the first little bit. I'll fail them both. Depression has destroyed my energy and motivation to lifetime lows these past few months since this semester started.

I can't learn calculus, its too much. C++ is out of the question too. Pretty sad when computer science is my major.

We can ban you, but it honestly doesn't sound like your problem is your ability to log on to SFN. IMO, it wouldn't help your situation one bit.

Good point. But why do you want me to stay?

I don't like (yes this purely subjective) to see people fail in their goals. iNow has made several important points in relation to how you might deal with your problems, but leaving the forum is not one of them. While you have pissed off and frustrated many members here, I think most if not all of those now have a better appreciation of where you are coming from.

If you remain on the forum there are definite benefits:

• You have somewhere to partially vent your frustrations
  • Someone may come up with an insightful suggestion that offers you a real solution to at least some of your problems
  • There are a bunch of people who could help you answer questions related to your studies

That's why I would like you to stay.

There is temporal suspension. I saw mods used it on one young user. He couldn't log in for one year.

Just change you password in settings to random characters,

log off,

and you won't be able to log in anymore.

The best way to learn programming, is writing for yourself.

C/C++ really has just only a few built-in functions and statements. One can write them all on the single piece of paper.

The rest is in linked libraries and shared libraries. It does not need to be learned in memory. But you will remember some, if you will use them often.

Imagine what you need in your work, your parents need in their work (ask them what they need to calculate often, and could be automated. What they count in f.e. Excel/SpreadSheet), and try making it.

While making, search for functions that you need in project on the net, to find manual. Read description, and use it, in project.

Then to next step in your app.

You don't need to remember that C/C++ printf() function is used to print to stdio, and sscanf() is used to parse string.. as long as you have Google and can simply write "how to display string in console in C/C++" "how to parse string in C/C++". You will get plentiful of examples and advices for people who had similar questions as you in the past. You will learn function names, for further searching and reading their descriptions in manual.

Edited by Sensei

Why not download an internet time keeper. You can get various apps which limit time browsers can be active - can be very useful. I don't use but I am pretty sure lots do - even I think one of our most highly esteemed admins is a user

Why not download an internet time keeper. You can get various apps which limit time browsers can be active - can be very useful. I don't use but I am pretty sure lots do - even I think one of our most highly esteemed admins is a user

Computer programmers spend more time on searching and reading manuals of functions they have to use, than on writing stuff in compiler...

It's essential especially for beginner, who doesn't know, doesn't remember arguments, functionality etc.

There is temporal suspension. I saw mods used it on one young user. He couldn't log in for one year.

All suspensions are temporal.

There was hope that the year off would allow the user's maturity level to increase to the point that s/he wouldn't violate the rules. That doesn't really apply to this case.

I regularly use around 5 programming languages. Without Google I'd be stuck pretty quickly. Knowing the concepts and remembering the quirks is far more important than recalling all the functions. E.g. I can easily google the various type codes for printf in c. It's knowing that that's important that is really key.

All suspensions are temporal.

There was hope that the year off would allow the user's maturity level to increase to the point that s/he wouldn't violate the rules. That doesn't really apply to this case.

We have done study leave bans by request before.

As far as I can tell, it's not C++ itself that is causing your problems in that course; It's not clear that you understand the fundamentals of programming. If you can't grok that, then any specific language will be a burden. If math and logarithmic thinking in general are such stressors, perhaps it would do you some good to switch majors.

I've known quite a few people who have benefited a great deal personally by switching majors. It sounds like this would be a good avenue for you as well.

If you really want to force yourself to leave (but I would prefer that you don't) the best method is to change your password to some complicated string which you can't remember, then log out. I've known people do that.

Ingenious!

Thanks.

As far as I can tell, it's not C++ itself that is causing your problems in that course; It's not clear that you understand the fundamentals of programming. If you can't grok that, then any specific language will be a burden. If math and logarithmic thinking in general are such stressors, perhaps it would do you some good to switch majors.

I've known quite a few people who have benefited a great deal personally by switching majors. It sounds like this would be a good avenue for you as well.

This is pretty much telling me to give up. There's not another major out there in which I understand the material or fundamentals any better than I do this one. Why would you go down the strong slippery slope of ruling out the possibility of me learning programming? Is it really out of the question? I know I said I couldn't learn it, but I was being negative and hyperbolic.

Besides, I've already switched majors, from mechanical engineering to computer science. I just recently did this actually. I'm not switching majors.