I am not too sure if this would go here but..

CountessDrac

If you had a superheavy element perhaps somthing that had an atomic number of over 100 (107 etc) would it be a liquid Solid or a gas? Sorry if this is a stupidly obvious question. I wouldn't have thought that the Atomic number would have anything to do with it, But I am unsure.

Also, How would you give an element like this energy.?

Sorry for my stupid questions! I'm am not exactly top of my class.

thanks xXx

If you look on a periodic table you will see that atomic number has little to do with whether it is a solid, liquid or gas... for example helium (atomic number 2) is a gas, where as lithium (atomic number 3 is a solid) and then and then radon (atomic number 86) is a gas and francium (atomic number 87) is a solid.

What energy are you referring to?

kinetic energy? thermal energy? or what? Also you realise that this will be a variable depending on the situation.

chances are a solid.

i hate how people correlate atomic and/or molecular mass with phases though. my bio teacher tried doing that at the beginning of the year while talking about hydrogen bonding in water and how it's amazing that a substance that "small" is a liquids at STP and has such a "high" boiling point. it's all about intermolecular forces. uranium hexafluoride is bloody huge, but it's a gas at STP. compare that to beryllium, which is tiny and a solid.

see now I also thought this when I thought mercury is a liquid ( At room temperature) yet somthing with a lower A/no. would be a solid. Although things lyk Hydrogen and Helium are gasses and have very low numbers.

but would it be more likely that an element with a very high A/no. would be more likely to be a solid? Or maybe evern more likely to be a gas?

and to be honest im even sure myself on my second stupid question. I am guesing I mean to sort of start some kind of reaction, which would ( i guess) be by burning?

an element with a very high A/no. would be more likely to be a solid? Or maybe evern more likely to be a gas?

It doesn't work like that, as me and bud said.

I am guesing I mean to sort of start some kind of reaction, which would ( i guess) be by burning?

That don't really make sense! Like the energy required for an atom to bond with another is dependant on what the other atom is for starters, look up 'activation energy' maybe... not sure really what you want.

I would love to see Uranium Hexafluoride in an open bucket. It would be odd to see a gas containing itself and not expanding. Heh.

I wouldn't have thought that the Atomic number would have anything to do with it, But I am unsure.

You are correct. But most heavy elements are solid because as you know, the atoms are closer together and cannot flow, only vibrate, thus, it's solid. Gases and Liquids have a much lower chance of being up there with the denser elements because atoms are further apart (and can flow, depending on how far apart the atoms are), so the density goes down.

This is my understanding, excuse my 8th grade science.

I would love to see Uranium Hexafluoride in an open bucket. It would be odd to see a gas containing itself and not expanding. Heh.

You are correct. But most heavy elements are solid because as you know' date=' the atoms are closer together and cannot flow, only vibrate, thus, it's solid. Gases and Liquids have a much lower chance of being up there with the denser elements because atoms are further apart (and can flow, depending on how far apart the atoms are), so the density goes down.

This is my understanding, excuse my 8th grade science.[/quote']

Radon is a very heavy element, and that is a gas. Mercury is a heavy element, and it's a liquid. Bromine is a fairly heavy element, and it's a liquid. Cesium is a heavy element, and it is a liquid at VERY slightly elevated temperatures. Atomic Mass plays ZERO part in determining if something is a solid or not. Look at sulfur hexafluoride. That's a pretty heavy molecule, but it's a gas. Then look at methanol. It's a pretty light molecule but it's a liquid. So the mass plays no part in determining if something is a liquid, solid, or gas.

Uranium hexafluoride is also not a gas at standard temperatures and pressures. At standard pressure, UF6 is only a gas above 134 degrees Fahrenheit. So you have to heat up the solid a decent amount before it becomes a gas. UF6 is inert towards oxygen, carbon dioxide, nitrogen, etc. However it does react with water forming Uranyl Fluoride and hydrogen fluoride. So you just kind of need to keep it away from water. With the radioactivity, Uranium isn't as radioactive as many people (myself included) once thought. It's got a pretty freaking long half-life and any decomposition resulting in different compounds really wouldn't be noticeable. (Now if it were something like polonium then yeah, it decomposes so readily that a visible difference would probably be seen; unless the radiation killed ya. :eek: )

I would guess that those elements would be solid ! Because almost all metals are solids (except mercury, cesium, or the radioactive elements : technetium, francium, radium, ...) ! And elements like element no. 107 are still metals ! Of course, when we talk about elements like element 115, 114, 112 etc. These elements are sooo radioactive that they only exist for picoseconds !!! And when they are made in cyclotrons by bombarding heavy nuclei the chance of making a nucleus with 115 protons is very small. So, when you have the chance of making such an element, you would have 10 nuclei, not much more. So, I wonder if we can speak of solids, liquids or gasses of metals that consist of only 10 atoms !!! Of course, we all hope that Atlantis (the island of stability) will be reached some day !! Then, we will have some of those heavy elements that will stay stable for some more time and maybe, then, we will see if these elements are solid, liquid, or gaseous.

Technetium, radium, and the vast majority of radioactive elements are 100% completely solid. There are only a few rarities like radon which is a gas, and francium which is possibly a liquid due to the trends seen in melting points of the alkali metals.