shipment is in clearance in Cologne for 5 weeks

Itoero

I've ordered 200g of a herbal powder out of China, via FedEx.

The shipment is currently in the customs in Cologne for 5 weeks.

I've contacted FedEx and the customs several times but they can't help.

What can cause this?

What's the longest you ever had to wait?

I once had a package leave Chicago, arrive in Australia (where I live), then after 2 weeks pack up and make its way to London, back to Chicago and finally 7 weeks later, to my doorstep. I've had a few items never make it past customs. One time I paid $70 to have the item treated, and another time where that wasn't an option I left it to be destroyed. Australia has very strict biosecurity laws, so it's not surprising, it just makes buying certain things difficult.

Perhaps a blessing in disguise for you, anyway. Chinese herbal powders and the like are notorious for not being what they should be, never mind the fact that many of their purported medical benefits are bogus.

I once had a package leave Chicago, arrive in Australia (where I live), then after 2 weeks pack up and make its way to London, back to Chicago and finally 7 weeks later, to my doorstep. I've had a few items never make it past customs. One time I paid $70 to have the item treated, and another time where that wasn't an option I left it to be destroyed. Australia has very strict biosecurity laws, so it's not surprising, it just makes buying certain things difficult.

Perhaps a blessing in disguise for you, anyway. Chinese herbal powders and the like are notorious for not being what they should be, never mind the fact that many of their purported medical benefits are bogus.

I know it's a risk. But I did find several references which make me think it's a trustworthy company. So a long waiting time can happen...this sucks.

I don't think I've had anything hung up in customs more than a week or two, but we did have a customs-related invoice bounce around work for months because nobody knew who it belonged to. There wasn't enough information on it to tie it to a particular shipment or purchase. It found its way through multiple departments before find the owner.

Even if we assume that these "Chinese herbs" are, in fact some guy's hedge trimmings, can anyone think of a reason why it's taken so long?

Could it be that the hold-up is actually due to the fraud squad gathering evidence?

Of course they could be some herb that contains a controlled substance which would explain the delay.

I bought 200g idebenone.

Many clinical trials show beneficial neurologic effects which is why I ordered it. I have a neuromuscular disease.

It's sold in many webshops (including ebay and amazon) but I need a higher dose then the ones which areoften sold.

The webshops that offer idebenone in higher quantities are out of stock or don't sell to Belgium.

There are many idebenone manufacturers in China.

You do have to figure out which are scams.

This is an answer I got from the customs.

"customs clearance first of all depends on the fact whether FedEx (Germany) has made a declaration already or not.

Should they have made a customs declaration already which led to a hold, seizure or similar by the customs office at Cologne/Bonn airport, they - as representative - received official documents (in written). They are then supposed to inform the receiver accordingly (there is a right of appeal!).

In case of missing documents during customs clearance, customs would inform FedEx (Germany) as well; they are then again supposed to inform the receiver accordingly."

I don't understand why it takes so long...

I've contacted the customs of cologne bonn airport and they said the inspection of my consignment is still going on and they don't know how long it will take.

I've ordered it with Fedex international priority....priority....???

Well, customs is independent of shipping. Also, being sold online does not necessarily mean that there are not limitations in their import. Moreover, even if a chemical is part of an over-the-counter medication it does not mean that other formulations may be sold,

Well, customs is independent of shipping. Also, being sold online does not necessarily mean that there are not limitations in their import. Moreover, even if a chemical is part of an over-the-counter medication it does not mean that other formulations may be sold,

I've ordered idebenone via ebay.uk...if that is delivered without any problem then there is no reason why the idebenone which is stuck in Cologne can't be cleared....I hope.

Shouldn't Fedex be contacted if a package can't be cleared?

Edited by Itoero

The most common side effects with Raxone (which may affect more than 1 in 10 people) are nasopharyngitis and cough; mild to moderate diarrhoea and back pain are also common (affecting up to 1 in 10 people

I also believe that Raxone (which has idebenone as sole active ingredient tbomk) is prescription only in Europe. This is probably why European based customs is checking up on the import of a restricted (ie restricted to medical prescription) substance into the EU and around the EU. Remember that the EU operates with a single border - it is where it lands into the EU where the european based checking is done rather than the domicile of the end user (where you might get more local checking)

I see plenty of prescription drugs on sale on-line.

However , wiki says the stuff is prescription only.

Can you quote or link the page that says idebenone is only on prescription?

Known webshops like smartpowders and powdercity sell idebenone in high quantity.

I also believe that Raxone (which has idebenone as sole active ingredient tbomk) is prescription only in Europe. This is probably why European based customs is checking up on the import of a restricted (ie restricted to medical prescription) substance into the EU and around the EU. Remember that the EU operates with a single border - it is where it lands into the EU where the european based checking is done rather than the domicile of the end user (where you might get more local checking)

Damn that's true.

I did order capsuled idebenone from the uk, I'm curious if that will arrive.

It's strange that idebenone is on prescription.

thx, I did not look in that column...pretty stupid of me.

Idebenone is approved for the treatment of Leber’s hereditary optic neuropathy...a degeneration of retinal ganglion cells.

Two days ago I had an appointment with my ophthalmologist and he saw damage on my optic nerve which partially exists out of retinal ganglion cells.

I suppose I can just ask a doctor for a prescription for idebenone.(raxone)

Edited by Itoero

thx, I did not look in that column...pretty stupid of me.

Idebenone is approved for the treatment of Leber’s hereditary optic neuropathy...a degeneration of retinal ganglion cells.

Two days ago I hhad an appointment with my opht

It may be approved but you aren't receiving properly assayed medicine; it could be any purity and anything. A neuropathy is too serious to contemplate self-medicating.

It may be approved but you aren't receiving properly assayed medicine; it could be any purity and anything. A neuropathy is too serious to contemplate self-medicating.

I doubt it will be cleared, it's in the customs for 7 weeks now.

If it arrives then I will compare it with idebenone from a known brand, under a microscope.

It's a yellow/orange crystalline powder.

I have a digital microscope with max magnification of 300. I hope that will suffice.

• 1 month later...

The Germans released my shipment after 11 weeks.

It's now pretty close in a fedex settlement.

The idebenone I buy now is very expensive...the big quantity is about 7 times cheaper.

I will compare it under my microscope. It's an orange/yellow crystalline powder, so I should be able to see and compare the quality.

I'm extremely happy.