What is the most important emotion?

MindfulEnt

This is highly subjective, however I would say FEAR is the most important emotion. Yes, fear in the absolute basic sense keeps us at a distance from death. However, fear is not just a single dimensional emotion only meant for avoiding death. As Michael Douglass said in the film 'Wallstreet'...greed is good; fear is essential. Fear makes you work, in that you fear on not paying the mortgage. Fear helps you advance yourself, as you may be afraid of remaining in an unsatisfying job. Fear keeps you prepared so you won't be embarrassed or misfortuned. Fear makes you socialable so you're not alone. Fear makes you look attractive, because you fear judgement. Fear keeps you to update, so you're not left behind.

Wonder comes after one has fortified themselves from fear. Empathy is a product of fear.

If fear is not the most important emotion, then in the very least it is the most necessary.

Edited by Elite Engineer

• 4 months later...

Anger as it is the strongest emotion that places you at odds with one's self. Thus lending self confidence once you overcome those anger triggers. To persevere against the adverse nature of the uncontrolled nature of anger and learn from its diverse lessons (depending on triggers) and continue to do so

Edited by Mordred

Have you never taken pride in your work?

Of course, but I'm referring to the negative meaning of the word:

Pride is an inwardly directed emotion that carries two antithetical meanings. With a negative connotation pride refers to a foolishly and irrationally corrupt sense of one's personal value, status or accomplishments, used synonymously with hubris.

Edited by Thorham

In your opinion, what do you think the most important emotion is?

Personally, I think it's a blend of Wonder and Empathy.

Emotions impact each other. Just as paint colors can be mixed to create new colors so too can emotions. Not only that but all people don't experience every emotion. So Idon't believe your question has an answer. Many emotions have been critical to human evolution. Without curiosity we wouldn't have explored, no empathy and we would be able to share experiences/knowledge so effectively, and etc. Emotions considered negative have there place too. Without fear humans wouldn't have been cautious enough during our explorations. Without egotism a sense of competition which often has driven invention wouldn't exist. Yet all emotions have their down side. Humans have killed in the name of love and in the name of hate.

To answer your question I think the question needs to be considerably more specific.

I think that neither wonder nor empathy could be judged as the most important on the basis that their are animals which don't feel empathy and seem to survive regardless. There are even people who don't feel empathy, and they do quite well as a result.

By 'wonder', I assume you mean amazement or fascination. Again this is an emotion which it seems very few species enjoy.

I think fear is one of the most important emotions. Without fear, a species would die out almost immediately. Selfishness is another which is very important if your aim is to survive for any length of time.