The King of the Elements

We should divide the contest into categories.

the most important element: oxygen

the most beautiful element: silver/copper

the most unique element: mercury

Well, my choice would be :

The most important element FOR LIVING SPECIES : Carbon

The most beautiful element : Cesium

The most unique element : Mercury

You know, I started this tread with the idea of finding a King of the elements. But it's clear that we can't chose ! And in fact, I find it better. Each element has his unique properties !

Gold = shining, yellow

Mercury = a liquid metal

Oxygen, carbond and hydrogen are so importent for life

The alkali metals : so reactive with water

Cesium : liquid, color of gold

Fluorine : maybe the most reactive element of the periodic table

I think, that's why element collecting is so fantastic !!! There are no borring elements ! We cannot chose a favourite but we certainly couldn't chose the most useless and borring element !!

melts in your hand?!?!

If it was in a sealed ampuol maybe, but otherwise it would probaly explode on contact with flesh.

But anyway, ceasium is an awesome element none-the-less.

Now, where can I get some Cs?

EBAY !!! You can find many Ebay-stores that sell Cs. (Emovendo - Smart Elements - etc.)

Go see the thread "Sticky: So, you like to collect elements?" for more information on element-stores.

I like most all of the elements equaly (I say Most all because I can like what I don`t Know about, can I?).

Carbon would be the logical choice because without it, life as we know/understand it wouldn`t be here to appreciate ANY of them.

I must admit that I like Cobalt quite a bit, not for any "Mega" reason, just that I`ve been after some for a while, and Cobalt Chloride was the 1`st chem that really captivated my interest in Chem as a young lad.

I think an 'unrespected' element is Thallium. Being surrounded by mercury and lead, Thallium doesn't get the respect it deserves as a toxic, heavy metal. Arsenic always seems to get the labels as 'touch it and die' type of stuff, but in reality thallium is actually quite a bit more toxic, I believe. It's a moderately soft metal which rapidly oxidizes away in the air, but oddly enough it can be stored under water without any problems at all. Thallium oxide/hydroxide is quite soluble in water, but the metal itself doesn't react with water. Therefore, a heavily oxidized chunk can be stored in a vial full of water and all the oxidation will just dissolve away leaving you with a clean, oxide free metal surface. (Of course the water it's stored in then becomes a very lethal poison). But I don't think Tl gets all the attention and respect that an element of its nature deserves. :D

melts in your hand?!?!

If it was in a sealed ampuol maybe' date=' but otherwise it would probaly explode on contact with flesh.

But anyway, ceasium is an awesome element none-the-less.[/quote']

:eek: yeah, I wouldn't recommend tipping out on my hand!!! I recently saw the effect of about 1g of Cs in a fibreglass bath full of water... there were no pieces of bathtub bigger than about 5 square inches! Bloody brilliant!!!!

Yeah, wouldn't it? Jeez, nasty but beautiful.... like some women I knew!

lol.

Do you by chance have the video or a link to the Ceasium plus H2O +fiberglass bathtub explosion?