finding magnetite

rthmjohn

Making thermite using magnetite produces a more intense reaction, so I'm told. I've been using hematite, which is a pain in the buttocks to make in large quantities, but I've heard that magnetite can be found in beach sand and is easy to extract with a large magnet. Can magnetite be found in the desert sand as well? If not, then why does it occur in beach sand?

• 2 months later...

yeah i just bought 4 neodymium magnets off ebay (holy crap, crazy powerful!) i went to a beach to test them out. in about 20 minutes i found over 2 pounds of magnetite. given, it's pretty impure so i'll have to refine it using the magnets again, but i'm pretty sure it will work in a thermite reaction.

what size are your magnets? and how did you get the magnetite off the magnet? I tried it by having the magnet in a ziplock bag so the magnetite collects around magnet then I put it over another bag and took the magnet out of the bag so the magnetite fell off. Do you have a better method?

They aren't that big; 2 x 1 x .25 inches. But i have 4 of them so i can combine them to make a more powerful magnet (given it is VERY hard to pull them apart afterwards...) Yes i tried using the bag idea but it didn't work very well. I had a weak ziploc bag and it just ripped when i would try and pull the magnetite from it. I'm sure it would be the most efficient way if i could find a strong enough bag. After the bag broke i just took two of the magnets and put a piece of string between them so they would hold it in place. then i just dragged the magnets accross the sand (no bag or anything) and when i had a sufficient amount i would peel it off into a bag. Not very efficient, and a pain to clean off the magnets at the end, but it worked. :)

Yeah, i'm heading out to Michigan in a coupla weeks also; i'll bring the magnets and hopefully get at least 20 pounds of the stuff. I'm still working on refining the sand/magnetite i collected earlier. Anyone have any suggestions? I know that the magnetite particles are very small, so would mechanical separation do any good? with thin mesh or something? or should i only refine it magnetically?

One can use magnetite in ferrofluids (do some research on internet- very cool mixtures) or in thermite. These are the only 2 applications i am aware of. Practical applications at least. Oh yeah, it's also the stuff used in etch-a-sketches i think.

holy crap ffsjoe, that's one hell of a magnet. :)

ahhh. yeah, my mistake. i'm confusing etch-a-sketches with those old toys where you use a magnet to draw stuff on a guy's face. his face is below a layer of clear plastic and there is a small amount of magnetite under the plastic. one would "drag and drop" the magetite using the magnet to make mustaches or beards or whatnot.

thanks for the clarification