living forever

Itoero

Why would anyone want to live forever? (in Heaven or Hell)

When I die, I just want to die and go back to the state of 'non-existing'.

Forever is a long time.

I'm not sure if I do or don't. I certainly don't like the idea of dying. I guess if I lived forever, I'd want to know that my life would continue to evolve and become more interesting.

Something Brad Pitt said in 'Troy' explains my idea.

"The gods envy us. They envy us because we’re mortal, because any moment may be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we’re doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again"

I'm more or less content with us all having the time that we have, however much that is, but I wouldn't mind knowing what happens after I've gone. Where humanity goes from here. The overall fate of the universe.

And, ultimately, where it all came from and what is "really" going on on a deep level.

All questions I'll never get a real answer too that I'd like before I check out.

• 3 months later...

Who the Hell would want to live forever on this planet?

What makes me kinda sad is that people bring children into this world just to see them suffer endlessly whether it is problems with attracting the opposite sex or problems with dealing with stressful financial situations that are caused by serious health troubles.

I'm currently in deep financial trouble because I don't have a job and I'm also sick all the time and many times I think that in my situation I would rather be dead and buried than alive and living in extreme poverty or just rotting in jail for many years to come.

My biggest fear is becoming homeless with no roof over my head, no privacy, no food to eat and no medications to take when I'm sick.

Becoming homeless is my biggest fear because I don't think that I could get out of this situation (or least not when I'm sick all the time).

I was given a shitty life that I didn't ask for in the first place.

The problems is that no one asks you if you want to born into this world or not because you are just born and that's it.

Personally I think I should have been aborted so my life wouldn't so painful because I all do is suffer and worry all the time and I'm also in a lot of pain.

Edited by seriously disabled

"The gods envy us. They envy us because we’re mortal, because any moment may be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we’re doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again"

A similar sentiment from an immortal being in Babylon 5 you might like:

To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal

The problems is that no one asks you if you want to born into this world or not because you are just born and that's it.

Long has man considered this position: since the first man according to Milton in Paradise Lost:

'Did I request thee, Maker, from my clay To mould me man? Did I solicit thee From darkness to promote me?'

The Gods don't envy us because we're mortal because the Gods don't exist.

Also you take a quote from a movie, in this case the movie "Troy" and think that this applies to the real world which it doesn't.

Movies should not be confused with the real world.

You are missing the point entirely. The message is "carpe diem", irrespective of whether the gods exist or not.

When I die, I just want to die and go back to the state of 'non-existing'.

Apparently living for you is pretty unpleasant state,

and you would like to finish it, as soon as possible.

Forever is a long time.

Or too short. That depends who you will ask ;)

Why would anyone want to live forever? (in Heaven or Hell)

Maybe you're in hell already, but you don't know/recognize it.. ?

Did you eat food found in trashcans?

Did you drink beer found in trashcans?

Edited by Sensei

Apparently living for you is pretty unpleasant state,

and you would like to finish it, as soon as possible.

That's true. It's my opinion but it doesn't say much about what other people think.

I've heard from several people that they are afraid of dying.

Maybe you're in hell already, but you don't know/recognize it.. ?

Did you eat food found in trashcans?

Did you drink beer found in trashcans?

That might be.

I wouldn't know, I have a poor memory.

Edited by Itoero

Itoero,

Then maybe you should concentrate on fixing your situation,

to make living/existing more pleasant, or at least more bearable.

Step by step.

Make a list of things that make you happy, and make a yet another list of things that make you sad.

If you have depression, visit doctors.

It's often result of diet. Disturbances in brain chemistry.

Doctor will give you medicament that could fix it.

I certainly would NOT want to live on this planet forever.

Humanity is mostly shit and this planet is a shithole too.

When I die I just to be gone forever and not come back to this planet, forever.

Then your problem are other people, not planet by itself.

There is so many places on this planet where you could live/exist alone without interactions with other people..

Edited by Sensei

I personally wouldn't want to live forever, you would have to watch your loved ones disappear while you live on. Yes you may move on, but I think I would eventually give up with human contact after a bunch of generations had come and gone. That's one reason for me. Another is the flame of life, if you had eternity to do everything quite a few things would lose their special quality that makes them unique "Halley's comet? No thanks, I will catch the next one", sort of thing.

To people in this thread who claim they do not want to live forever... what is stopping you from killing yourself right now?

ecoli, I don't want to live forever, not to say I don't want to live. I want to experience life while I have it, go through what I have been given while I can and then be happy knowing my atoms will merge their ways into all sorts of organisms and minerals etc C; (yes I am aware it's kind of happening on a small scale now).

Would be difficult to express this more elegantly/succinctly in my opinion.

P.S. Are we talking about immortality here (In the sense that you literally can't die) or an organism without any senescence? (Not counting Turritopsis dohrnii cycles) Hence you would have the potential to live forever?

Based on being a true immortal who would want to live forever? Let's say you can't die but can feel pain. Eventually you will get into a situation where you either run out of food or possibly experience the pain of a global event such as an ice age or a super-volcano like Caldera under Yellowstone eventually exploding. Would you not feel a bit like Prometheus or Ixion?

Also to answer the OP: Heaven - Would be interesting, I would love to see if it got overpopulated, but would still like to die. Hell - Toasty but eventually I can see myself dehydrating and just sitting there in pain C; Still no to both

Edited by Fallen Enigma

ecoli, I don't want to live forever, not to say I don't want to live. I want to experience life while I have it, go through what I have been given while I can and then be happy knowing my atoms will merge their ways into all sorts of organisms and minerals etc C; (yes I am aware it's kind of happening on a small scale now).

So what arbitrary upper bound have you assigned to life?

For example, lets say you can backup your consciousness today and download it into a brand new, identical body tomorrow after you got hit by a truck crossing the street? Would you go for that or have you decided that you've lived enough to this point?

So what arbitrary upper bound have you assigned to life?

For example, lets say you can backup your consciousness today and download it into a brand new, identical body tomorrow after you got hit by a truck crossing the street? Would you go for that or have you decided that you've lived enough to this point?

I haven't assigned an arbitrary upper limit, just a burning candle, if it happens to be a short one, long one or is extinguished early is not for me to decide, just fate really.

I am also presuming that this backup system has a never ending loop within it where I can backup, die and re-download an infinite number of times. In which case I would be in the same position as with the immortality as I would just download the next day as a back up again etc. If I was hit by the truck though, I would rather that be it, instead of getting up the next day for my original reasons of immortality not being for me.

Yet, mentioning the truck reminded me of the film Groundhog Day and made me laugh. That being said would people be happy with an eternal life if you were stuck in the same repeating day yet you remembered and had freedom within that day?

To people in this thread who claim they do not want to live forever... what is stopping you from killing yourself right now?

Because I haven't given up completely...I'm not defeated yet.

Itoero,

Then maybe you should concentrate on fixing your situation,

to make living/existing more pleasant, or at least more bearable.

Step by step.

Make a list of things that make you happy, and make a yet another list of things that make you sad.

If you have depression, visit doctors.

It's often result of diet. Disturbances in brain chemistry.

Doctor will give you medicament that could fix it.

I have neuromuscular disease.

I'm still 'here' because of my family.

And death is very final, while life is full of possibilities.

I do need at least 5 therapies to be healed completely.

I certainly would NOT want to live on this planet forever.

Humanity is mostly shit and this planet is a shithole too.

When I die I just to be gone forever and not come back to this planet, forever.

Humanity starts with you, you don't think much of yourself; smile and the world smiles back, frown and it turns its back

Also to answer the OP: Heaven - Would be interesting, I would love to see if it got overpopulated, but would still like to die. Hell - Toasty but eventually I can see myself dehydrating and just sitting there in pain C; Still no to both

Heaven and hell are here and now, so heaven can't get overpopulated, I'd settle for a good population and hell has far to big a population; the best part is that we get to choose which, right now:

Heaven = Being content with what we have, without fearing what we can't control (basically everything) and remembering the past and future doesn't exist. = Peace.

Hell = Being jealous of those with more, fearing others will take what you have, trying to control the world around you, lamenting the past and worrying about a future you can't possibly know, not to mention trying to plan a perfect day. = Torment.

Heaven = Being content with what we have, without fearing what we can't control (basically everything) and remembering the past and future doesn't exist. = Peace.

Things you can't control cause fear...like a bear or several bears. Edited by Itoero

I haven't assigned an arbitrary upper limit, just a burning candle, if it happens to be a short one, long one or is extinguished early is not for me to decide, just fate really.

... If I was hit by the truck though, I would rather that be it, instead of getting up the next day for my original reasons of immortality not being for me.

But it can be yours to decide, given the hypothetical backup and the ability to commit suicide. Since we've established that you have experienced all the life you really want to and will be perfectly fine with dying later today, the question remains, why haven't you killed yourself yet?
See, I am skeptical when people claim they don't want to live forever. Since dying is 'natural' we've come up with all sorts of rationalizations for why it's a good thing and have imbued death with mystical properties that should *never* be questioned. Yet given the choice of dying today vs dying later, most (physically healthy, psychologically well-adjusted) people would choose to put off death, and would put it off again when 'later' comes. I believe this reveals true preference for eternal life.
Science and medicine are slowly chipping away at disease processes to prolong and improve human life, but when another disease is conquered nobody is lamenting that 'natural' processes such as disease and death are farther from reach. If you don't want to die today and you'd rather not die tomorrow either, if this preference is also true tomorrow then you want to live forever.

But it can be yours to decide, given the hypothetical backup and the ability to commit suicide. Since we've established that you have experienced all the life you really want to and will be perfectly fine with dying later today, the question remains, why haven't you killed yourself yet?

See, I am skeptical when people claim they don't want to live forever. Since dying is 'natural' we've come up with all sorts of rationalizations for why it's a good thing and have imbued death with mystical properties that should *never* be questioned. Yet given the choice of dying today vs dying later, most (physically healthy, psychologically well-adjusted) people would choose to put off death, and would put it off again when 'later' comes. I believe this reveals true preference for eternal life.

Science and medicine are slowly chipping away at disease processes to prolong and improve human life, but when another disease is conquered nobody is lamenting that 'natural' processes such as disease and death are farther from reach. If you don't want to die today and you'd rather not die tomorrow either, if this preference is also true tomorrow then you want to live forever.

Forever is a very, very long time. When people say they want to live forever, I think they are considering living for centuries and not considering way the experience of living for the next ten billion years would be like.

I don't imagine that would be particularly pleasant, frankly, and so I'm not interested.

Forever is a very, very long time. When people say they want to live forever, I think they are considering living for centuries and not considering way the experience of living for the next ten billion years would be like.

I don't imagine that would be particularly pleasant, frankly, and so I'm not interested.

If your brain can't comprehend living for billions of years, then you can't possibly imagine that it will be unpleasant. So you've talked your way out of your own argument.

And even then... so what? I'm not taking away the option of calling it quits after a few centuries, I'm arguing that you guys eagerly looking forward to death after less than a century (and possibly tomorrow) is a product of social brainwashing.

When asking the Gods for eternal life, it's a big mistake if you forget to ask for eternal youth as well. Tithonous could tell you about that.

A reasonable and necessary assumption is that you continue to get positive utility out of life. I'm not forcing anybody to live forever, just that reasonably happy and healthy people ought to want this.