Rose petals

I see it as a test of how flexible of a thinker you are. Flexible thinking is a valuable asset to have in today's world so it would seem that it would be a legitimate component of intelligence. Flexible thinking can be construed as creativity, which many psychologists considered an important part of intelligence.
Ooh, let's go with this theory. I think (flexibly) it makes the most sense. Way to go!

aswokei -- 1, Hyebeh -- 0.

god-dammit, that took me ages. i think its more of a test of how easaly misled you are.

heres a big clue:

[hide]its not a maths puzzle. dont bother trying to work out ways of adding, dividing etc the numbers to get the answre[/hide]

and another, even bigger clue

[hide]focus on the shape that the dots on the dice form[/hide]

I see it as a test of how flexible of a thinker you are. Flexible thinking is a valuable asset to have in today's world so it would seem that it would be a legitimate component of intelligence. Flexible thinking can be construed as creativity, which many psychologists considered an important part of intelligence.

If you start out thinking in terms of shape and form(which is probably what you will do if your right cerebral hemisphere is the dominant one) you will solve the puzzle quite easily and won't have a chance to employ flexible thinking.

Only if you start by thinking in mathematical terms(trying to solve the problem in the way your left cerebral hemisphere would prefer), seeing the actual numbers represented by the dice, will you have the option to be flexible in your way of perceiving the problem and then depending on how tied down you are in your methods of solving it,(the dominance factor) you will get a solution variably fast.

I solved it by asking myself what a gambler would say.

It took 12 rolls to know.

(So I utilized external expertise).

Is that cheating?

Now if someone can just figure out how to decode “pimped car” wheel size slang.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:rolleyes::):rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

quick silver:

[hide]There is no maths involved other than adding up the number of petals around the rose... it's just up to you to work out what the "petals" actually are![/hide]

To make the exercise more useful to yourself, you need to analyse how your brain made the connections between the question and the answer.

and figure out what mental bridge you did not cross...and tuck that bridge away in your memory for the next time you encounter a puzzle.

hint classify what type of puzzle this is and locate the key word in the question, that unlocked the answer.

Is this kind of puzzle common - I don't usually solve puzzles...

But it was weird - there was a continual conflict going on while my mind went thru all kinds of analytical solutions, something was nagging at the edge, something intangible, obviously a pattern recognition process from 'the other side', telling me I was missing something.

I actually got it right several times before I knew why... :eek:

Dammit! Brain frying! I know i'm not supposed to look to deeply into it, but thats asking me to stop doing something that has become a terribly flawed instinct.

I will get this if it kills me (which it might).

when your eyes read the question and you came to the word "rose" what did you think?

I thought...”what the are they talking about...I see no roses”...just what looks like that side of a dice. what do they mean by "rose"?

so I never even started solving the mathematical sequence until all the words made sense to me.