Who was the greatest scientist or inventor that ever lived ?

vrus

i think magellan was from spain. well wat my global teacher told me was that he reached somewhere east of asia, i think phelepenos ( i know it is wrong spelling but u get the idea).and there he had a tribal war withthe natives and he was killed. then his slave steered his ship back to spain . that is the story. he wanted to find an all see route to india for trade like columbus . but columbus found the new world.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Einstein, he was so willing to imagine that he left a big mark on proven scientific discoveries. The speed of time was developed by him (or at least I think he did, or at least he worked along with it). He realized how important imagination was to science, because the only way to solve problems is to think up an explanation, and that requires more than facts. Without imagination, we wouldn't even have half of these questions to answer.

YES, INDEED !!! People always tend to forget her, but without her scientific research, watson and crick would never have been able to discover the strucure of DNA.

and it is said watson and crick couldnt have done it if they handnt read schrodingers ideas in "What is life?"

I would say whatever guy discovered fire' date=' and discovered how to get it repeatedly. I mean, that's what really sparked the advance of the human race...either that or the wheel.

-Uncool-[/quote']

Fire is definitly better than the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

All of the dead ones seem to be covered. Ever hear of Dean Kamen? A brilliant engineer who has invented or improved upon many technologies and invented many gadgets used in the medical field. His brother is a physician and would tell Dean: "Doctors could really use something that does this ..." and Dean would go out and invent it.

dean kamen

Alfred Loomis deserves an honorable mention. This man, during the 1920's through the 1940's and beyond, personally funded scientists at his home to do research that was directly related to the development of radar and first atomic bombs. Mr. Loomis was a gifted mathematician and physicist to boot. You can read his story in the book Tuxedo Park and can read about the book here: tuxedo park

I have also read a poll where people think the chap who invented the toothbrush was the best inventor.

Guest amazed

Hmmm No one, it seems, has mentioned Niels Bohr. But... there is another, the Supreme:

1908 Nobel Prize

1914 Knighted

1915 Pioneer in ASDIC (SONAR)

1917 Produces first nuclear reaction

1920 Predits existance of the neutron

And, as far as I can tell, more Nobel Prize winners studied under him, than any other scientist, and most of those who received them worked on ideas which he encourged. No one can touch this man in the advancement of science. He had his hands (and his mind) in everything...

Sir Ernest Rutherford

• 2 weeks later...

Da Vinci and Gauss. Edit: also Darwin and Pasteur from the biological sciences.

People like Einstein or Watson/Crick might have made great discoveries, but these were things on their way. The truly greatest were ahead of their time.

• 3 weeks later...

Newton.

He made the link between the Heavens and Earth when he realized that a falling object is controlled by the same force that keeps the Moon in orbit.

In doing so, he exploded the concept of the eternal unchanging, supernatural Heavens, effectively ushering in the modern age of science.

In my opinion Albert Einstein because he wasn't an atheist.

I believe man has his scietific authorities and God has his.

To me Einstein was the first of God's scientists.

Einstein was an Atheist.

Einstein said this

"It was' date=' of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. [u']I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly.[/u] If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

and this:

"A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, our perceptions of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which only in their most primitive forms are accessible to our minds - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute true religiosity; in this sense, and this alone, I am a deeply religious man."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein#Religious_views