Who was the greatest scientist or inventor that ever lived ?

vrus

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edison's greatness should not be rated on his patents. He owned big companies in which he paid people to develop the technology, which he would then patent. A great many of his patents had little to no involvment with him except that he owned them.

He did of course invent a bunch of stuff too though.

In my opinion most of the scientists are great. I am not saying that one is "The Greatest" but in my opinion Einstein was one of the most important figures in sciece. His work inspired many other scientists and help us get where we are today. It has always worked that way, a scientist comes up with an idea and other scientists combine their ideas with it to make something great out of it.

This was so interesting, I asked my dad "what was the greatest invention of all time", and like UNCOOL in post 12, he said the WHEEL. So, whoever the cavewomen was, she was the greatest inventor.

Bettina

I would regard the greatest inventor the person who has contributed most to humanity . This would be Alexander Fleming because I can imagine how many lives he would have saved if penicillian had been discovered a lot earlier .

This was so interesting' date=' I asked my dad "what was the greatest invention of all time", and like UNCOOL in post 12, he said the WHEEL. So, whoever the cavewomen was, she was the greatest inventor.

Bettina[/quote']

I credit her husband. He was the guy who started with the triangle and found that the square "rolled" better. He then developed and improved it until he had the octagon which rolled quite well in some conditions especially after being "broken in" or worn a little.

I'm not trying to discredit her input in any way, but all she did was tell him "Why don't you just "round" all those corners off!" after he did all the work.

I credit her husband. He was the guy who started with the triangle and found that the square "rolled" better. He then developed and improved it until he had the octagon which rolled quite well in some conditions especially after being "broken in" or worn a little.

I'm not trying to discredit her input in any way' date=' but all she did was tell him "Why don't you just "round" all those corners off!" after he did all the work.[/quote']

I agree. Without her beauty and brains directing him, he would still be shaking his beer keg to bits. ;)

Bettina

I agree. Without her beauty and brains directing him' date=' he would still be shaking his beer keg to bits. ;)

Bettina[/quote']

Sure...by today's standards.

But she was considered ugly in those days...what with her bulging cranium where her sloping forehead was supposed to be. (but he loved her anyway)

Sure...by today's standards.

But she was considered ugly in those days...what with her bulging cranium where her sloping forehead was supposed to be. (but he loved her anyway)

Cute, but your off by many years. I think the skull of the early neolithic wasn't nearly as bad as you describe. She probably looked pretty good for her time. Somewhere around 8000BC. I found that the potters wheel was the wheels first use but then man found it was good at grinding hops and barley into mash and so on.......so I think thats where women got their hi pitch voices from screaming so much.... ;)

Bettina

Cute' date=' but your off by many years. I think the skull of the early neolithic wasn't nearly as bad as you describe. She probably looked pretty good for her time. Somewhere around 8000BC. I found that the potters wheel was the wheels first use but then man found it was good at grinding hops and barley into mash and so on.......so I think thats where women got their hi pitch voices from screaming so much.... ;)

Bettina[/quote']

I see. So she wasn't a cro magnon. She was a hairy potter.

It seems to me that the greatest scientist/inventor would be the guy/gal who made the greatest leap in technology relative to where they at at.

How about the guy (I forget who) who discovered the world was round, not flat. Thatsa pretty big leap.

How about the guy (I forget who) who discovered the world was round, not flat. Thatsa pretty big leap.

ahhh yeah, Yuri Gagarin, what a dude! :)

no hang on, my goof, he PROVED it, Columbus or Galilleo discovered it (I think)

I have to put a good word in for Lois Pasteur also' date=' although he`s known for pasteurising Milk... his Passion was mainly Beer! :)

and that makes him pretty darn OK in my book :)[/quote']

Yeah, Belgium RULES :D

Oh, and it is Louis (not Lois) :)

I cannot forget Enrico Fermi and Glenn Seaborg. Their work on the heavy elements and radioactive materials really changed the world forever. The research they did really opened up our eyes in regards to radioactivity and the world of the atom. While many will argue that it's their fault there's all the nuclear weapons in the world, many people forget the good things that have come from their discoveries.

ahhh yeah' date=' Yuri Gagarin, what a dude! :)

no hang on, my goof, he PROVED it, Columbus or Galilleo discovered it (I think)[/quote']

It was a sailor called Ferdinand Magellan. He however died and did not live to see himself become well-known. I think he was from Spain or Portugal. 1500's.