Who was the greatest scientist or inventor that ever lived ?

vrus

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The title says it !!!

What is your opinion ?

That would be the Italian doctor Gabriel Falloppio, he invented the condom and discovered the clitoris in 1564.....2nd, would be Mr Thomas Crapper who invented the modern day toilet.

I thought Einstein would be popular, he was billiant. Benjamin Franklin was great because of his science combined with fame as a hero of liberty. Socrates was pretty cool. Darwin contributed a lot to modern bio. Galileo Newton, oh and Tesla should be in the running.

LEONARDO DA VINCI, though known for his work in the Sistine Chapel, was also known as a great inventor. Thomas Edison was no slouch either, perhaps throw in Shockley for his work on the transistor.

Scientists: Einstien, Maxwell, Newton, Galileo

Plenty more of course, especially ancient greek philosphers (who wern't really scientists), and tons of important inventors.

edit: Forgot Darwin

In my opinion it was Edison. First Light bulb, First power plant, 1250+ patents RECORDED. Add to that the favours he used to do to people with practical problems that he didn't bother to register as patents. There are many who have gone silently and are hardly known of. I mean Wernher von Braun and an Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan- the man who knew infinity and Gustav Weisskopf, now believed to the be the first person to make a manned flight.

LEONARDO DA VINCI, though known for his work in the Sistine Chapel, was also known as a great inventor.

Da Vinci has art in the Sistine Chapel? I didn't know that. I thought that was all done before his time.

I would say whatever guy discovered fire, and discovered how to get it repeatedly. I mean, that's what really sparked the advance of the human race...either that or the wheel.

-Uncool-

Da Vinci has art in the Sistine Chapel? I didn't know that. I thought that was all done before his time.

He didn't. Michaelangelo was the painter. He was a pretty interesting fellow, I like him better than Da Vinci.

I don't find them that amazing, Da vinci and Michelangelo.

Davinci was a genius in many domains. He wasn't only an artist. His sketches on military, flight, anatomy and much more reveal his intelligence. As for Michelangelo I don't know him that well. Edison is definitely my favorite and I enjoy Hawking's books.

Edit: Oops, how could I forget the ingenious Wright brothers.

I'm not exactly a feminist, but I'm intrigued by the (usually uncredited) role women have made. For more, check out Mileva Cleric and Rosalind Franklin, and I bet there are more.

I vote for the transistor and those that made it viable.

interestingly enough on Radio 4 there has been a similar poll over the last few weeks, and the greatest invention was the Bicycle! I think the Internet came in 2`nd or there abouts.

theres nowt so strange as folk! :)