How Do I Reduce Stress Naturally?

I had a heart attack about eight weeks ago. There was an occlusion (blockage) in one of the arteries of the heart which supplied oxygen and nutrients to the heart muscle and I crumbled. After an operation which was apparently successful, I have been told by doctors, colleagues, relatives and friends to reduce stress.

However, as a Science teacher in 21st century England, life is stressful. As a parent, it is stressful. My complicated personal life is stressful.

How on earth can I relieve the stress using a natural method?

I have heard about breathing techniques etc... but how would logical, rational beings on the Forum cope in a natural, pill-free way to relieve stress? (I hate pills).

Any advice welcomed.

You need to start allotting some me-time to yourself and give yourself some mental space where you can switch off. Nobody is worth killing yourself for...except for young, dependent children maybe. Try and create a separate parallel mental world that you can escape to and give time to. Stress is often caused just by not giving yourself space to detach yourself in order to keep tabs on your normal life. In a sense, it's not being able to see the wood for the trees; you are, perhaps, too busy to see where you are going. "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way" ;)

Edited by StringJunky

Depends. One biggie would be budgeting time for yourself. Not for work, not to get things done, but a time slot that is only for you and your interests. What else may help depends on your inclinations. Some say that yoga actually works for them in many ways. Others work out, and so on. One of the most important bits (which is an issue for me) is probably getting enough sleep.

Edit: crossposted with String

Edited by CharonY

I think it"s mostly everyday stuff that piles up on us. We tend to think in terms of big ticket stress (like having a heart attack!), but we usually have really good systems in most families for the big stuff, plus we recover from major traumas much better and more quickly than you think.

But we blow off the bits like sitting in traffic, or dealing with drainers (people who always leave you feeling like you did all the work), or having the washing machine go out on you the day after you decided not to get the extended warranty. Just telling yourself "It is what it is" makes things worse. Choking the life out of anyone else who says it to you would be nice, but most countries are cracking down on that sort of thing.

I like humor, and I think laughing and smiling reduce my stress a bit, so I try to have some reminders around that things are pretty good overall. Jokes are great (Did you hear about the guy who gets a heart transplant from a sheep? The doctor asks him afterwards how he feels, and the guy says, "Not baaaaad").

If I find myself running late a lot in the morning, I take some time at night to do a few things that will save me time the next morning. I dislike being late, but I refuse to get stressed out about it anymore.

Take a couple of deep breaths, raise both arms in a V for victory (seriously, do this), and smile at the thought that your pump is unclogged. You got an upgrade! More O for you!

We have lots of members. Aorta give you some advice too. <_<

I had a heart attack about eight weeks ago. There was an occlusion (blockage) in one of the arteries of the heart which supplied oxygen and nutrients to the heart muscle and I crumbled. After an operation which was apparently successful, I have been told by doctors, colleagues, relatives and friends to reduce stress.

However, as a Science teacher in 21st century England, life is stressful. As a parent, it is stressful. My complicated personal life is stressful.

I have heard about breathing techniques etc... but how would logical, rational beings on the Forum cope in a natural, pill-free way to relieve stress? (I hate pills).

Any advice welcomed.

Stressful situation can cause disconnection of cholesterol that you have already in your body in artery,

and they could stuck somewhere, heart or brain or other organ, causing heart attack or brain stroke.

Instead of getting rid of stressful situations, you should think how to get rid of cholesterol from your veins..

What is your weight and height? BMI?

Do you had examination showing internal fat storage in your body, around or inside of your organs.. ?

Do you have dumbbells?

You should get one which looks like these 20 kg:

post-100882-0-17357100-1474415379_thumb.jpg

If you didn't use them yet, you will have start from 5 kg. Then week by week, month by month, increase it.

When you don't feel tired it's good time to increase weight.

Get mirror 70 x 200 cm at least.

And every single day, make series of trainings, in the front of mirror.

You don't get to sleep, prior making your daily exercise.

Write what exercise you did day by day in calendar.

This will help you keep motivated.

Don't let empty calendar paper day appear in it.

Have *must have* plan of exercises that's at least equal or slightly higher than previous day.

It's much easier to take "day-off", "skip" from exercises, when people have to go to gym...

Being tired of doing nothing all day long (from my point of view) is really poor excuse.. :)

I am always telling people: "making 100 push-ups takes 100 seconds, or in the worst case 200 seconds.. What is your pretext? No time? Really? It's taking less time than cigarette or pissing off"..

(my record in push-ups per day is 1700 IIRC)

Start from telling us your entire diet, day by day, without hiding anything..

ps. Do I have to tell you that you should search for "cholesterol-rich food sources" on the Google.. And then get rid of them from your menu.. ?

ps2. Disconnect from your work.. There is 17:00 and you're stopping thinking about what happened between 8:00 to 17:00 (or so).. I literally don't remember what happened yesterday, nor bother about it... :)

Edited by Sensei

Definitely exercise.

It has a calming effect.

And when you get frustrated and stressed about things, come to this forum, stir up some sh*t, and vent your frustrations.

You'd be surprised how calming it is to stress other people out !

This suggestion is simplistic in the extreme, but I have found it often works.

When a situation arises that might generate anger, or worry, or frustration, or any negative emotion we have a choice as to how we react to it. We do not have to feel anger, or worry or frustration if we choose not to. The trick is to react quickly when the emotion begins to build and decide then and there I choose not to feel this way.

It does require a conscious act of will. It does not always work. But I have found it so successful that in some situations I have to fake the expected emotion since others get confused if they do not see it.

You need to start allotting some me-time to yourself and give yourself some mental space where you can switch off. Nobody is worth killing yourself for...except for young, dependent children maybe. Try and create a separate parallel mental world that you can escape to and give time to. Stress is often caused just by not giving yourself space to detach yourself in order to keep tabs on your normal life. In a sense, it's not being able to see the wood for the trees; you are, perhaps, too busy to see where you are going. "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way" ;)

You are right mate. But I always gave everything I did 100%. As a scientist and as teacher of science. I think I bolloxed up the parent part as a consequence. I need a few minutes "me" time. I fo like the way you slipped in a Pink Floyd lyric (is it Floyd or Genesis?) :)

Depends. One biggie would be budgeting time for yourself. Not for work, not to get things done, but a time slot that is only for you and your interests. What else may help depends on your inclinations. Some say that yoga actually works for them in many ways. Others work out, and so on. One of the most important bits (which is an issue for me) is probably getting enough sleep.

Edit: crossposted with String

My main interest is Science. I guess it sounds corny but I still get excited over new or inspiring science.

I think it"s mostly everyday stuff that piles up on us. We tend to think in terms of big ticket stress (like having a heart attack!), but we usually have really good systems in most families for the big stuff, plus we recover from major traumas much better and more quickly than you think.

But we blow off the bits like sitting in traffic, or dealing with drainers (people who always leave you feeling like you did all the work), or having the washing machine go out on you the day after you decided not to get the extended warranty. Just telling yourself "It is what it is" makes things worse. Choking the life out of anyone else who says it to you would be nice, but most countries are cracking down on that sort of thing.

I like humor, and I think laughing and smiling reduce my stress a bit, so I try to have some reminders around that things are pretty good overall. Jokes are great (Did you hear about the guy who gets a heart transplant from a sheep? The doctor asks him afterwards how he feels, and the guy says, "Not baaaaad").

If I find myself running late a lot in the morning, I take some time at night to do a few things that will save me time the next morning. I dislike being late, but I refuse to get stressed out about it anymore.

Take a couple of deep breaths, raise both arms in a V for victory (seriously, do this), and smile at the thought that your pump is unclogged. You got an upgrade! More O for you!

We have lots of members. Aorta give you some advice too. <_<

Love the puns. I do listen to zany comedy such as Ross Noble on you tube and it keeps me happy but life is complicated and hard - maybe it was never meant to be easy - and I do struggle but keep going.

Stressful situation can cause disconnection of cholesterol that you have already in your body in artery,

and they could stuck somewhere, heart or brain or other organ, causing heart attack or brain stroke.

Instead of getting rid of stressful situations, you should think how to get rid of cholesterol from your veins..

What is your weight and height? BMI?

Do you had examination showing internal fat storage in your body, around or inside of your organs.. ?

Do you have dumbbells?

You should get one which looks like these 20 kg:

attachicon.gifvoit-20-kg-dokum-dumbell-set-5718-28-B.jpg

If you didn't use them yet, you will have start from 5 kg. Then week by week, month by month, increase it.

When you don't feel tired it's good time to increase weight.

Get mirror 70 x 200 cm at least.

And every single day, make series of trainings, in the front of mirror.

You don't get to sleep, prior making your daily exercise.

Write what exercise you did day by day in calendar.

This will help you keep motivated.

Don't let empty calendar paper day appear in it.

Have *must have* plan of exercises that's at least equal or slightly higher than previous day.

It's much easier to take "day-off", "skip" from exercises, when people have to go to gym...

Being tired of doing nothing all day long (from my point of view) is really poor excuse.. :)

I am always telling people: "making 100 push-ups takes 100 seconds, or in the worst case 200 seconds.. What is your pretext? No time? Really? It's taking less time than cigarette or pissing off"..

(my record in push-ups per day is 1700 IIRC)

Start from telling us your entire diet, day by day, without hiding anything..

ps. Do I have to tell you that you should search for "cholesterol-rich food sources" on the Google.. And then get rid of them from your menu.. ?

ps2. Disconnect from your work.. There is 17:00 and you're stopping thinking about what happened between 8:00 to 17:00 (or so).. I literally don't remember what happened yesterday, nor bother about it... :)

I like your regimented attitude. I am 5ft 4in and 75 kg. My diet is one toast and decaff coffee for breakfast. Two salad sandwiches for lunch. Pasta with chicken or rice with chicken as a main meal. One bar of chocolate and one caffeinated tea per day and one bag of crisps. This has been my daily regime for 18 years. I didn't get any rel exercise for 2 years and this messed me up. There is no excuse for not doing push-ups. I agree.

Definitely exercise.

It has a calming effect.

And when you get frustrated and stressed about things, come to this forum, stir up some sh*t, and vent your frustrations.

You'd be surprised how calming it is to stress other people out !

You know what, I hate stirring up things. I normally have a clam and phlegmatic personality - it takes a lot to stir me up. Injustice and senseless killing of other members of our planet really piss me off though. We are here to work with Nature and not to conquer. Humans have the wrong attitude and we will pay for that as a species. Wow! That felt good.

This suggestion is simplistic in the extreme, but I have found it often works.

When a situation arises that might generate anger, or worry, or frustration, or any negative emotion we have a choice as to how we react to it. We do not have to feel anger, or worry or frustration if we choose not to. The trick is to react quickly when the emotion begins to build and decide then and there I choose not to feel this way.

It does require a conscious act of will. It does not always work. But I have found it so successful that in some situations I have to fake the expected emotion since others get confused if they do not see it.

That is beautiful but you are talking to a Scotsman and when it comes to flight or fight - there is no running unfortunately. Scots people love a good argument, it's in our nature unfortunately.

You are right mate. But I always gave everything I did 100%. As a scientist and as teacher of science. I think I bolloxed up the parent part as a consequence. I need a few minutes "me" time. I fo like the way you slipped in a Pink Floyd lyric (is it Floyd or Genesis?) :)

Pink Floyd's "Time" Dark Side Of The Moon. The story of our lives. :)

I like your regimented attitude. I am 5ft 4in and 75 kg.

Unfortunately it's pretty bad.

BMI 28.2. It's overweight http://www.bestbmicalculator.com/28/

I am 20+ cm taller, and have smaller weight than you.

My diet is one toast and decaff coffee for breakfast.

Blend several fruits, f.e. strawberries, berries, raspberries, some add banana (like in video below) with kefir 0.5 L. No sugar needed. Add some cut in cubes raw fruits at the end.

It'll be tasty and healthy drink for a start.

Two salad sandwiches for lunch. Pasta with chicken or rice with chicken as a main meal. One bar of chocolate and one caffeinated tea per day and one bag of crisps. This has been my daily regime for 18 years. I didn't get any rel exercise for 2 years and this messed me up. There is no excuse for not doing push-ups. I agree.

In your condition you should remove pasta from your menu.

Rice 100g per dish is enough. Potato 300g cooked 35 minutes, as long as they're not joined with fatty additions (nor fried), is good too. At max one spoon of butter and 0% fat milk.

Chicken is good (250 g-300g I am using per dish no more). Try cutting three colors peppers and onion in cubes, seasonings, fry 2-3 minutes, chicken in cubes. seasonings, fry 4 minutes, join together.

Chocolate and crisps replace by smoothie above mentioned.

Edited by Sensei

Thanks for the advice guys. My favourite hobby is watching TV and eating crisps but I can't do that now. I need more exercise and I have to change my diet and listen to Pink Floyd. I still cannot give up chocolate though. I am a chocolate addict. Just a bar a day lifts my mood and helps me to chill out.

I can give up cream cakes and eat less crisps but cannot keep my hands off the chocolate. Sorry.

Thanks for the advice guys. My favourite hobby is watching TV and eating crisps but I can't do that now. I need more exercise and I have to change my diet and listen to Pink Floyd. I still cannot give up chocolate though. I am a chocolate addict. Just a bar a day lifts my mood and helps me to chill out.

I can give up cream cakes and eat less crisps but cannot keep my hands off the chocolate. Sorry.

The real secret to less stress, is don't worry about it; the secret to a long stress free life is, change.

That is beautiful but you are talking to a Scotsman and when it comes to flight or fight - there is no running unfortunately. Scots people love a good argument, it's in our nature unfortunately.

I am also Scottish. Consequently I know I am correct and the other guy is wrong. That's his problem, not mine, so I can relax. :)

Hope all will go well with you.

If you develop (or have) a taste for high cocoa low sugar variants chocolate is likely not that bad.

Yes, there is some serious chocolatey chocolate from some of the African places. It's quite hard, not very sweet or milky tasting. It's an acquired taste that I got used to and came to like by the time I reached the end of the bar.... which took a few days. :) Because it''s so cocoa-ey you don't trough on it but you learn to eat it more slowly and savour the unsweetened richness... the taste lingers longer as well The Co-op is a good place to find the more foreign chocolates because they do alot of fair trade stuff. Did I say I like chocolate? :)

Yes, the nice thing is that it has a lot of depth to the flavour that is not covered up just by sugar and fat. It is like espresso vs. frappucino (or whatever it is called). But as with many things it is an acquired taste.

No argument about the espresso; done in a well used cafetiere with the residues of past sessions to infuse into the current cup is unbeatable. I've learnt to drink that black and sugarless too. That is an acquired taste. On the subject of sugar: since I gave up table sugar, things have more taste to me now. It definitely masks other foods.

Edited by StringJunky

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the links and the evidence. Should I start drinking red wine in the mornings between lessons and then continue in the evenings after everyone has gone to bed? Or after eating chocolates? Seriously, great links and need to be addressed. Of to the shops in the morning, bloody predictive texting...

• 3 weeks later...

Areas to consider learning more about relating to stress are diet, meditation, and exercise, especially exercise involving stretching.

Of course any new changes should be approved by your doctor, but what works for me is:

1. Regular stretching. I do a short yoga routine several times a week at home that I believe reduces stress. I read once that Hawaiian healers believe that disease comes from stress, and that stress can be relieved in the muscles by massage. Yoga is easier for me than massage.

2. Diet. Two areas of diet I am focusing on are gut health (The Brain Maker Diet), and gene switching (Dr. Gundry's Diet Revolution). I just started the second book; however, it is by a heart surgeon who wrote a book about a diet that switches off harmful genes that he has found to be particularly effective for cardiovascular disease. The brain Maker Diet is by a neurologist whose practice involves healing neurological problems, including anxiety, with dietary changes.

3. Meditation. I believe that stress is compounded in the mind by repetitive thought circles of worry that can be interrupted with meditation that trains the mind to be present. I do a form of religious meditation called "Lectio Divina" because I am Catholic, but any meditation should help.

Good Luck.

Edited by dedo