Possible job losses at the Mathematics Department of Leicester

ajb

Twenty four members of the Department of Mathematics at the University of Leicester - the great majority of the members of the department - have been informed that their post is at risk of redundancy, and will have to reapply for their positions by the end of September.

Find out more and sign the petition http://speakout.web.ucu.org.uk/no-cuts-no-confidence-at-university-of-leicester/

Edited by ajb

Universities do this from time to time.

My A level chemistry teacher studied at Exeter, which used to be renowned for the subject.

So it was a sad day when they closed the department a few years ago.

Just as sad as when they closed the school of engineering, which also was a centre of excellence.

Yeah, unfortunately federal and state (or equivalent) cuts on funding are big drivers in these developments. I am therefore surprised that they gave drop in enrolment as the main issue. After all, the tuition of students does not cover their cost but are matched with public funds.

24 members of a math department being sacked seems rather a lot to me?

are these all actually teachers or are we talking cleaning staff?

How many teachers/lecturers does the department have and how many students?

I find it interesting the OP gives a location in poland.

24 members of a math department being sacked seems rather a lot to me?

are these all actually teachers or are we talking cleaning staff?

Cleaning staff will be employed by the university or work via a contract with an outside company, rather than be part of the mathematics department itself.

How many teachers/lecturers does the department have and how many students?

You could cheak the website of the department.

I find it interesting the OP gives a location in poland.

Why is that interesting? I am actually British - and soon will no longer be in Poland (in fact I am not there right now!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.