Do ' Quantum ' ideas, relate to Space-Time ? Would Observations , and Investigations , count, if conducted at (bench height above the Earth.)

Mike Smith Cosmos

I wondered if it were possible to conduct observations , and conduct experiments , on space-time, at or just above ground level . *

And could the results be valid enough , considering the nearness of surrounding materials generally , including, the Earth itself.

Mike

post-33514-0-82346400-1473339830_thumb.jpeg.post-33514-0-42256100-1473339858.jpeg.

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

I wondered if it were possible to conduct observations , and conduct experiments , on space-time, at or just above ground level .

And could the results be valid enough , considering the nearness of surrounding materials generally , including, the Earth itself.

Mike

SwansonT has written in his blogs about his atomic clocks begin so accurate that they easily discern the difference between gravitational potential at Denver lab and Washington DC lab (hopefully that is right) - and that the most accurate clocks would run at noticeably different tick rates even between being placed on the floor and the desktop. That is time dilation due to difference in gravitational potential and is basic GR and effects of spacetime / it also relies on QM with regards to the actual mechanism of the hyperfine whatever-it-is

I'm not sure if you are asking

Can you introduce quantum effects into relativity equations?

or

Can you introduce relativity into quantum mechanics equations?

For the former note that relativitistic effects are often observed and have to be accounted for in particle accelerator experiments, which are conducted at or sometimes below ground level.

For the latter Paul Dirac was the first to introduce a relativistic version of the Schroedinger equation, which offers more accurate calcuated values when compared with observation. Again this applies equally at ground zero as in space.

You asking about benchtop gravitational experiments? I know that people do think about such things - but I can not recall who right now!

Well yes bench top , idea , but anywhere in the region of " land surface height to just above head height .

" along the lines of " Bench-top" experiments , conducted in the fashion of some of the early experimenters .

1700 to 1930's as well as experimenters to the present day , who still potter around with bench top experiments !

Mike

SwansonT has written in his blogs about his atomic clocks begin so accurate that they easily discern the difference between gravitational potential at Denver lab and Washington DC lab (hopefully that is right) - and that the most accurate clocks would run at noticeably different tick rates even between being placed on the floor and the desktop. That is time dilation due to difference in gravitational potential and is basic GR and effects of spacetime / it also relies on QM with regards to the actual mechanism of the hyperfine whatever-it-is

Some frequency standards are sensitive enough that folks at NIST were able to discern the difference from a height difference of ~30 cm (around 3 x 10^-17 fractional frequency difference), in several hours of measurement.

DC to Denver (or close by, actually) is a difference of more than a km in height, which is a part in 10^13. That's pretty easy to measure with the best clocks.

I wondered if it were possible to conduct observations , and conduct experiments , on space-time, at or just above ground level .

What is an experiment ON spacetime?

Some frequency standards are sensitive enough that folks at NIST were able to discern the difference from a height difference of ~30 cm (around 3 x 10^-17 fractional frequency difference), in several hours of measurement.DC to Denver (or close by, actually) is a difference of more than a km in height, which is a part in 10^13. That's pretty easy to measure with the best clocks.

What is an experiment ON spacetime?

Well! I am assuming ' space- time , is there , in front of me , as much as it is 1000's of miles up?

As such , whatever is affecting 1000miles up , I can get my hands on , 2 meters in front of me?

So , the space time is ( according to theory ) subject to ' CURVATURE ' .

So the curvature , likely to be caused my the mass presence of the earth , is curving , space time before my eyes .

If I put water 2 meters in front of my face , say by a tub of water , a fish pond of water , WILL BE SUBJECT TO CURVATURE , which I assume is measurable ?

I predict the water on the fish pond , will be curved , according to existing formulae ?

Testable ? How ?

Mike

Well! I am assuming ' space- time , is there , in front of me , as much as it is 1000's of miles up?

As such , whatever is affecting 1000miles up , I can get my hands on , 2 meters in front of me?

So , the space time is ( according to theory ) subject to ' CURVATURE ' .

So the curvature , likely to be caused my the mass presence of the earth , is curving , space time before my eyes .

If I put water 2 meters in front of my face , say by a tub of water , a fish pond of water , WILL BE SUBJECT TO CURVATURE , which I assume is measurable ?

I predict the water on the fish pond , will be curved , according to existing formulae ?

Testable ? How ?

Mike

You can test things that are affected by the curvature of spacetime, e.g. the aforementioned clock comparisons, but that's a test on the clocks, confirming a model. I don't see this as an experiment on spacetime. To me that phrasing is awkward.

You can test things that are affected by the curvature of spacetime, e.g. the aforementioned clock comparisons, but that's a test on the clocks, confirming a model. I don't see this as an experiment on spacetime. To me that phrasing is awkward.

Well , if the presence of all the mass of the earth is supposed to warp space time , around it vicinity , then the water in the pool , should curve in sympathy , or in response to the nearby curvature . And thus should be curved. ( covering the space bit of space -time . I will have to think of an observation or experiment to do with ' time ' which I understand is your province ?

If one was to do a sillier extension of this curvature experiment or observation , one would surely find the water , ( eg the oceans ) curved completely around the globe. which is roughly what we observe .

Or have I ' missed a trick ?

Mike

Ps assuming I can in fact measure or identify the correct curvature across my ' fish pool ' ? And assume it follows around the globe ?

Well , if the presence of all the mass of the earth is supposed to warp space time , around it vicinity , then the water in the pool , should curve in sympathy , or in response to the nearby curvature . And thus should be curved. ( covering the space bit of space -time . I will have to think of an observation or experiment to do with ' time ' which I understand is your province ?

If one was to do a sillier extension of this curvature experiment or observation , one would surely find the water , ( eg the oceans ) curved completely around the globe. which is roughly what we observe .

Or have I ' missed a trick ?

Mike

Ps assuming I can in fact measure or identify the correct curvature across my ' fish pool ' ? And assume it follows around the globe ?

The curvature of spacetime is not the same as the curvature of the earth.

The curvature of spacetime is not the same as the curvature of the earth.

Why not ?

Surely the settlement of the surface curvature and the settlement of the sea curvature , and the curving of space - time , settle down and shape the same curve , do they not ?

If not , why not ?

It is after all Gravity that is curving space-time , and gravity that pulls the earth into shape ?

Or did I miss something ?

MIKE

Why not ?

Because it isn't.

It is after all Gravity that is curving space-time , and gravity that pulls the earth into shape ?

Or did I miss something ?

They are both curvature. That doesn't mean they are the same curvature.

The curvature of space can be used to describe an orbit. Water in the oceans is not in orbit around the earth. In many instances the spacetime curvature is taken to mean the path of light around a massive object. We are not a black hole (or on the cusp of becoming one)

Because it isn't.

They are both curvature. That doesn't mean they are the same curvature.

The curvature of space can be used to describe an orbit. Water in the oceans is not in orbit around the earth. In many instances the spacetime curvature is taken to mean the path of light around a massive object. We are not a black hole (or on the cusp of becoming one)

Oh !

I need to get my head around what you have said . If the mass of the earth is causing the curvature of space, why quite it does not curve the material stuff it's interacting with into an earth shape . If it isn't , what is pulling it into a curved shape . I thought it was gravity, that did it ( and I thought gravity was the curvature of space ?

Where have I gone wrong ?

As far as I can see from what you say .

If I can imagine a curve , running around the earth , caused by the mass of the whole earth , say 12" ( inches ) up off the earths , it would In fact only be that particular curve where it is in circular orbit . So whatever is in orbit ( if it has any mass ) it must be travelling at 17,700 mph . If it does not have mass , then I have no idea what quite is going on ?

Are you saying it's like the rings of Saturn ?

Also you spoke about ' light ' orbiting , a massive object . Presumably you mean a neutron star or black hole ? Again I do not quite know , what is going on ?

What a chump , what am I thinking , the curvature is the " rubber sheet model. ".

post-33514-0-24072700-1473375106_thumb.jpeg

So the shaper of earths round curve ,presumably, is the sharpness of the edge within this gravitational cone?

Mike

. .......What is an experiment ON spacetime?

I am not sure ....yet ....

But , if whatever ' SPACE-TIME '. is , and it IS just in front of you , as much as it is , . ' away out in space ...' .. One should be able to ' prod , poke, observe, and do whatever to ' IT ' right there ...just in front of you .

It sounds like you have already done this !

I have noticed , just by accident , that there is some very precise ' goings on ' happening with these ' OSCILLATING CHINA PLATES' . In a stack of solid plates , heavy China plates on a granite work top , the top plate if accidentally ' off set ' , will OSCILLATE FOR QUITE SOME CONSIDERABLE TIME ' .

This China Plate phenomenon appears to approach , the sort of observation / bench experiment that I refer to above ? But conducted under experimental conditions ! Say ! But I am not sure how Quantum Behaviour relates to this phenomenon. If it does at all ?

I have not investigated ' Studios ' references yet , but there does appear to be the makings of some quantum effects there ?

Mike

I am not sure ....yet ....

But , if whatever ' SPACE-TIME '. is , and it IS just in front of you , as much as it is , . ' away out in space ...' .. One should be able to ' prod , poke, observe, and do whatever to ' IT ' right there ...just in front of you .

That's what I'm asking you. What are some such experiments that you are doing ON spacetime. YOU have to answer this. It's your conjecture.

That's what I'm asking you. What are some such experiments that you are doing ON spacetime. YOU have to answer this. It's your conjecture.

Yes . Delighted to do ( as best as I am able to ) , the Observations , Bench top experiments , propose any suggestions , as well as any results gained ,or which ' may ' appear.

The first observation , revolves around the fact that :-

China saucers( offset ), oscillate with an extraordinary regularity and persistence , than one might expect.

The sort of comparative measurements could be at different positions of the moon and tides.

I think the results may have some interesting results. So I would make a hypothesis for those results.

Mike

Yes . Delighted to do ( as best as I am able to ) , the Observations , Bench top experiments , propose any suggestions , as well as any results gained ,or which ' may ' appear.

The first observation , revolves around the fact that :-

China saucers( offset ), oscillate with an extraordinary regularity and persistence , than one might expect.

The sort of comparative measurements could be at different positions of the moon and tides.

I think the results may have some interesting results. So I would make a hypothesis for those results.

Mike

How is that an experiment on spacetime. Sounds like that an experiment on some plates.

No , not just plates. Because the restorative force of gravity is permeated across space time , in order to cause the plate to oscillate.

Mike

But the experiment is being performed on the plates. That's the physical thing you are observing and measuring. The effect of gravity is inferred from those measurements, by the application of some model.

But the experiment is being performed on the plates. That's the physical thing you are observing and measuring. The effect of gravity is inferred from those measurements, by the application of some model.

Quite.!

It is a privelidge to see the effects of gravity , performing , in front of our eyes. It's like seeing an electric motor going around without any input energy. True the effect wears off after a time , but enough to ' almost see the gravity field ' in operation . You could say we see this in every swing of a pendulum , kiddies swing, or whatever. But because of the oscillations , being so near in frequency to otherwise automated machines, it is amazing to peer and listen to this

" bench top experiment " and think and contemplate of the ( SPACE-TIME GRAVITY INTERPLAY )

And this is just the beginning .

Mike