Mouse Track

1 2 3

4 5 6

connecting 1-6,3-4,2-5

is just 1+2*sqt(5)=5.472

but not short enough..

Nonsense.

You forgot to mention the one important rule in your game..

The way you described above, one could join 1-4,2-5,3-6 (or 1-4,5-2,3-6). And have 3 total length. But there are missing 4-5 and 2-3!

Therefor the way you explained game in #1 post, the correct answer is 5.

Edited by Sensei

@sensei
The mouse makes the tracks or pathway that is as short (total length) as possible to access all 6 holes.
It can go to any hole from any hole not necessarily directly or from any hole to the next adjacent hole.
It can go back its track not necessarily increasing the length of track. Dont mind the distance it travels.

Your proposition will be 5 meters too.. because 1-4-1-2-5-2-3-6 is the "E" route to access all pocket holes.
5 meters is wrong because it is not short enough.

@ swansont
The mouse can do the 1-6-middle-3-4-middle-2-5.. eventually making the crossroad where it can go back to
to access the 6 holes.

@ kisai

@ Mordred

I don't see any solution shorter than 5.

@sensei

The mouse makes the tracks or pathway that is as short (total length) as possible to access all 6 holes.

It can go to any hole from any hole not necessarily directly ....

It can go back its track not necessarily increasing the length of track. Dont mind the distance it travels.

Clarify this with Total length travelled

in particular it can go back on its track without adding to total length travelled... 😱

Edited by Mordred

@mordred
-its ok..

-tracks means path,route,course or trail and has length .. not to be mistaken as accumulated length of foot steps.

-no, going back along track will add to total length of travel..not to the track length.

HINT : Imagine the pockets are towns.. what is the shortest road system to access all the towns?

What about a path from 1-6, with the other 4 town being reached paths branching and perpendicular to the first path?

What about a path from 1-6, with the other 4 town being reached paths branching and perpendicular to the first path?

No that doesn't work my bad

I made SpreadSheet how results changes with various length line from center of table to "middle" of left/right side (A).

post-100882-0-03555500-1473511480_thumb.png

Here is zoomed in range where it's starting growing:

post-100882-0-59961500-1473511496_thumb.png

(25 row is the smallest)

A is auto-incremented.

1-A is rest.

B=SQRT((1-A)^2+0.5^2)

Total length 4*B+2*A+1

I'm a little surprised that the solution (assuming that's an optimum) isn't symmetrical.

To be honest so am I - decided to check non-symmetrical when I split the puzzle into two to simplify. The LHS connects 3 holes the RHS connects 4 holes - one of both in common; rather than each side connecting 4 with two of each in common

And can anyone tell me a nice online app / freeware that would allow me to draw that accurately and easily? :)

And can anyone tell me a nice online app / freeware that would allow me to draw that accurately and easily? :)

I was using LightWave 3D. Not free for ordinary user. Although I received it for free.

If we select two points and use Detail > Measure > Measure Points,

it's calculating length of line,

x,y,z abs delta between points.

Edited by Sensei

@imatfaal

Solved..the 120 degrees network connects n points in space with shortest line segments.

Proof?

No, but I used paint which is free and lets you do it really badly.

:)

@John Cuthber
Sorry no proof..and it can not work if there's no need.
If we intersect each 3 points with 3 lines forming "Y" @ 120 deg w/ each other,
that will be the minimum connecting length. Unless the 3 points are making > 120 angle
because the lines connecting them is already the minimum.

I tried this with the cubic room where a spider web connects the 8 corners .It works
With 13 segments network.All angles of the adjacent web segment are 120 degrees.
e.i. for the minimum length.

AutoCAD is the best for this. No math needed. Just click lines to read measurements.