Planet X

There has been a lot of talk about Planet X. What's all of the fuss about anyway? I read that a new planet was discovered in our solar system. Is this true? This would be different from Planet X, right. In one place, I read X was Mars, in another it said it was a new planet. What gives?

I don't think it's a new planet, I don't even think it's in the same solar plane...to "considered" a planet, it must have formed around the same time as all the other 8 planets did, and follow the same patterns, I havn't read much about it...does it follow any patterns of the planets in our solar system?

Another planet has occasionally been postulated to explain mysterious gravitational effects, or strange orbits of comets or moons. I'm not sure if there is any indication of another large body that we dont already know about, but the kuiper belt is far enough away that we'd have a hard time seeing another rocky/icy planet out there.

There was an urgency to find a reason for the discrepancies of Neptune's orbit, so there was very much buzz when Pluto was discovered, because it could be the explanation. Then it was found that Pluto's mass was not enough to explain Neptune's behavior, so the searches continued. But then the Voyager 2 probe discovered that Neptune's mass had been miscalculated, and with the new mass the presence of a planet X was not necessary

To complete the info given in the page that Janus posted, is interesting to know that recent news suggest that Voyager 1 has reached yet the zone known as Termination shock, or is very close to reach it

VgrHeliosphere.jpg

anyway, it will continue its journey and will cross the heliopause probably around 2020. Is expected that will continue to operate and send back valuable data until at least 2020