Body fat and cholesterol levels

StringJunky

Is there a direct correlation between how much fat you are carrying and your cholesterol levels?

My weight for many years was 65Kg with a total cholesterol of 2.7. Two years later after interferon treatment I went up to 86Kg and total cholesterol of 8. I am now 76Kg with a cholesterol score of 5.8.

Is it possible to get your cholesterol level down without losing weight? I am on the top end of my optimal BMI. Before that I was on the lower end of the optimal range. I want to stay where I am but get my cholesterol down to 4.0 or below.

Edited by StringJunky

I stay away from sugars if I'm eating high cholesterol foods. LDL receptors don't signal for removal of cholesterol from the blood in the presence of too much sugars, so your cells produce their own besides what's in the blood.

I don't know about the fat correlation. I still don't like the single number score they use now. LDL to HDL is a ratio, and I was always told it should be 3:1 or less.

There are meds, of course. I hope they've improved, because I used to hear about how the high cholesterol meds raised your blood pressure, and the high blood pressure meds raised your cholesterol levels. Could be just old people bitching though. I've never taken either yet.

I stay away from sugars if I'm eating high cholesterol foods. LDL receptors don't signal for removal of cholesterol from the blood in the presence of too much sugars, so your cells produce their own besides what's in the blood.

I don't know about the fat correlation. I still don't like the single number score they use now. LDL to HDL is a ratio, and I was always told it should be 3:1 or less.

There are meds, of course. I hope they've improved, because I used to hear about how the high cholesterol meds raised your blood pressure, and the high blood pressure meds raised your cholesterol levels. Could be just old people bitching though. I've never taken either yet.

That's interesting. I'll explore that.

From what I've read, so far, is that 5.8 is high but not high enough to warrant medical attention. This seems to be borne out by the fact that neither of my two doctors ( Gastroenterologist and GP) have said anything about it after I was tested. My blood pressure is 120/60, so, I don't want that messing up by meds and hypertension runs in most of my family.

Edited by StringJunky

Seems to depend on the distribution of fat, whether it is visceral or subcutaneous, with visceral being more metabolically active, especially in terms of cardiovascular risk factors.

This study suggests visceral fat and LDL are correlated.

Smoking cessation also affects weight gain; good luck

Interesting. Cheers.

Do you have your own Cholesterol checking machine.. ?

If yes, you could make a series of tests,

how Cholesterol varies in day, taking test per hour, or couple hours,

or how it changes after eating certain types of foods.

Record in Excel/OpenOffice SpreadSheet time and reading from device. And time and thing that you ate. And present results here.

I saw on the net graph how cholesterol level changes (Y axis), with quantity of consumed green tea (X axis).

You could verify observation made in this article on yourself.

https://www.healthaliciousness.com/blog/How-much-does-green-tea-lower-cholesterol.php

Links at the bottom of article also try to answer your questions.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are interested in some dietary trials: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4924204/

Although it focuses more on hypertension. Also, it doesn't actually factor in weight that much. So basically it is missing the question in OP. Sorry about that.

Thanks. If you see anything else I will be interested.

I am interested in hypertension and dietary effects on it as well. I've just bought a blood pressure monitor given my familial susceptibility.

I'm 68 and my doc has me on Simvastatin to control my cholesterol level and Losartan together with Amlodipine to control my high blood pressure. The meds appear to work well together.