matricies-----Linear algebra

Can i just check if i have done this question right?

Question:............

"Suppose that a linear transformation T is defined by a 4×5 matrix. Can T to be one to one? Can T be onto? Give reasons for your answers."

This is my answer:.............

Let the 4x5 matrix that defines transformation T be:

A = [# * * * *]

[* # * * *]

[* * # * *]

[* * * # *]

#'s indeicate some possible pivot positions

for the transformation T to be one to one, the columns oof matrix A have to be lineraly independent (by a particular therom). That is T is one to one iff Ax=0 has only the trvial solution. However, because there will always be at least one free variable in the reduced forms of A, therefore the columns of A are not linearly independent. Thus the transformation T can not be one-to-one.

The transformation T is onto (map R^n -> R^m) iff the columns of A span R^m (By a Theorem). Also by another Theorem, the columns of A span R^m iff A has a pivot position in every row. So because A is a 4x5 matrix, it is defintely possible for A to have a pivot position in every row. Thus T can be onto so long as there is a pivot position in each row when the matrix has been reduced.

phew!

how'd i go?

Cheers

Sarah

then there was no need to do

"for the transformation T to be one to one, the columns oof matrix A have to be lineraly independent (by a particular therom). That is T is one to one iff Ax=0 has only the trvial solution. However, because there will always be at least one free variable in the reduced forms of A, therefore the columns of A are not linearly independent. Thus the transformation T can not be one-to-one."