KMnO4 stains, and other chemical stains/burns/ect.

H2SO4

many many moons ago, a Chemists/pharmacy was more than just a drug store, it dealt with all things chemical that would be used, KNO3 is a meat preservative, and was used regularly for home use as this, also the old biscuit tins had a compartment inside that you`de put in saltpeter to keep the biscuits dry as a dessicant, in fact I actualy remember those old tins quite well :)

Stains of MnO2 on organic matter, from exposure to KMnO4-solutions, can be very efficiently removed with slightly acidic water solution of sodium sulfite.

:eek: Caution; the solution emits toxic and highly irritating vapor of sulfur dioxide, should be kept in a well ventilated area!

The stain of MnO2(s) is immediately reduced by the sulfite ion in acid solution to water soluble Mn2+. The stain is removed. Have tested it myself; even stains more than a month old are completely removed.

About chemical burns. The most painful burn experience I have is not from acids or alkalis, but from formaldehyde (40% H2O-soln). Extremely painful.

One of the most dangeorus chemicals in this respect is hydrofluoric acid.

Causes deep painful burns, even necrosis. :eek:

So if you get oxidized by H2O2 you have necrosis because its killing living cells? Or is necrosis when cells just start dying quickly from a trauma and keep spreading?

IIRC from Biology class, there are certan organelles in each cell like Lysosomes that use a hydrolytic enzyme thats responsible for destroying the cell when its life is over, one of these types releases H2O2 as part of it`s self destruct mechanism (I can`t remember what name the cell part had though).