Can anyone identify this insect?

AzurePhoenix

Basically, I found this small, mantis-like insect on a flower in my yard. I believe it isn't really a mantis in the true sense of the word (maybe a relative?), but when you see the real thing, it's long forelegs are held and waved about in a similar fashion, and the abdomen has rows of spines or barbs. I'd like to know what it is, but none of my books have anything like it. If it helps, I live in central Arizona. Fortunately I have a good digital camera, so here it is.....

That could be a male european mantid nymph, depending on your location. If you are, as I thought, in AZ; then it very well could be. A word of caution: Mantisis can snip off your finger easily, don't provoke them. Especially the females.

I'll watch out for this little guy, but he's about a third the size of a Lacewing. :) Thanx, but I'm not so sure. I'm fairly certain it's a mature adult. We have rather large, basic mantises around here in large numbers.

If you could get your hand on this book;

Johnson, N.F. and Triplehorn, C.A. 2004. Borror and DeLong's Introduction to the Study of Insects. 7th ed. Brooks Cole. 864 p.

And really it's a great pictures, I'm curious to know what species it is, however I don't think it's a mantid.

Yea I know,

I just wanted to throw in some sense of the diversity of the insect kingdom in there somewhere.

Those spike like structures protruding from the rear look like a starting point.

Have you seen him feed? If he injects prey for external digestion, he could be an assassin bug. Assassin bugs usually have one combo injection/feeding tube to do this instead of two seperate ones. There's over 3000 species of them.

I tried to wait and see him catch something (there was only that last flower on the bush), but it got dark. I've been going back to the flower, but I haven't seen him. I'll do a web-search for some assassins, see if anything turns up. I'll grab a few bug books at the library todayor tomorrow too.

as for the assassin bugs...

all the pictures i can find online seem to show a feeding tube going back under the head. its hard to tell, but the creature in your picture doesnt seem to have one.

are there species of assassin bug that dont have this?

all the pictures i can find online seem to show a feeding tube going back under the head. its hard to tell, but the creature in your picture doesnt seem to have one.
Neither shot really shows the underside of the head. I think it can tuck up under a bit when not in use.
are there species of assassin bug that dont have this?
I think that's one of the things that distinguishes them. Most bugs that small that digest externally have one tube for the corrosive juices and another tube for feeding.

Yeah, and yesteday, I caught an adorable little Peach-Faced Lovebird in the park by my house. She's so sweet and friendly, and she keeps climbing into my clothes and fluttering around the house (I know that sounds normal, but it's hot here, so we leave the fans on)