Maxima

ajb

I have just installed Maxima on my laptop running Ubuntu. I will have a play with it over the coming weeks.

I was wondering of anyone else here has used Maxima? Are there any annoying features, bugs or other problems you would like to share? Is there anything you particularly like about the system? (The price is one great feature!)

Are you talking about this app?

I am wondering: does it use 32 bit floats, 64 bit floats, or dynamically generated "infinite length" floats (limited by user in options or by available memory).. ?

This annoys me a lot in f.e. OpenOffice. Try entering A1=1, A2=A1+1e-12, and fill down. You will see all 1.. (there is needed 1e-10 step at least)

Edited by Sensei

That is the application I am talking about - I have never used it before. It does not look anything like as advanced as Mathematica, but I expect it will do some donkey work with solving algebraic and differential equations, linear algebra and basic plotting.

I see it could be useful.

If it's command-line tool in the first place, maybe it would be possible to put on some Linux server,

and make web page that will be executing it, with parameters entered in HTML form, and show output directly in web browser.. ?

This way, there would be no need even to install it, anywhere we are.

As long as Internet is working or smartphone has connection.