Good 'scientific' movies (new and old are welcome)

Insane

Recently I've watched some very cool movies which involve science, physics, etc. I was wondering if anyone knows of any cool and scientifically correct movies that I could watch, I enjoy them very much.

If you're still confused, an example is 'The Manhattan Project'.

Please do not mention the movie 'Hackers' or any sequels.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

X-Men. TONS of physics, especially in the comics, like alternate dimensional stuff, space-ship, the make-believe "scientific" explanation for many of the cahracters' powers.

And who cares how false Star Wars was? It totally ROCKS!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Lake Placid. Not 100% (of course), with some concessions to dramatic necessity, but overall it was suprisingly accurate. It was also *very* entertaining; it's a horror-comedy, with the comedy coming from the interactions of the characters. Think "The Mummy" but with a big crocodile instead.

Mokele

I actually liked anaconda and anacondas. The second one was more scientific than the first. Jaws is pretty good, aside from some of the stuff thrown in for the sake of it being a movie, and the fact that it added greatly to the demonization of large sharks, I dare say you might learn something about sharks from watching it. I kind of liked lake placid as well, it had some good moments. Also, off the top of my head, the Aliens series is pretty scientific as well, as long as you don't acknowledge Alien: Resurrection as a part of the series, that movie is such a mess.

"The Gift of Life" was a very scientifically correct film in my Health class. :D

We saw The Miracle of Life in our bio-class

the funniest part was when sperms tried to fertilize any round shaped object they came across. :D

Recently I've watched some very cool movies which involve science, physics, etc. I was wondering if anyone knows of any cool and scientifically correct movies that I could watch, I enjoy them very much.
One such movie that I highly recommend is Stand and Deliver. It is a film that centers around a dedicated teacher who is determined to teach Calculus to a group of inner-city youth who have 'slipped through the cracks' of the public school system.

I realize it sounds like a rather 'corny' movie, however, Edward Olmos (the teacher) gives a solid performance, and the students are portrayed by decent actors as well. Also, the movie is based upon a true story, and the status of the real-life counterparts of the students portrayed in the film, as well as other students who took this man's class, are mentioned at the end of the movie.

I don't know if you've seen it, but Gattaca is pretty cool. It's about genetics and gene engineering. I loved mission to mars, I don't know if it's scientifically correct but it's good. Oh and Jason X or whichever one he goes to space in puts Stephen Hawkins in his place, just kidding.

I'm a fan of "Gattaca"

Old movies - "The Fly", it's almost about quantum teleportation, but the experiment goes worng because there was a fly in the machine, so he came out half-fly.

"Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"...when radiation experiments goes wrong.

God, there are so many, I can't even think of any more.

Contact wasn't bad, some big ethical questions, and it sticks it up the fundamentalists (which makes it extra-good!).

Cube and Sphere also come to mind.

As for movies already mentioned Planet of the Apes and Gattaca would have to be my favourites