Poll: Which year group were you born in?

StringJunky

Age Distribution of SFN Members  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which year group were you born in?

• 1910 - 1930
    • 1931 - 1940
    • 1941 - 1950
    • 1951 - 1960
    • 1961 - 1970
    • 1971 - 1980
    • 1981 - 1985
    • 1986 - 1990
    • 1991 - 1995
    • 1996 - 2000
    • 2001 - 2005
    • 2006 - 2010

I thought it would be interesting to see what the current age distribution is here.

If you wish to declare your age group or age, you can in a post in this thread but it is not required for the purposes of the poll.

I'm in the 1961 -1970 group.

Edited by StringJunky

May I make a suggestion?

Redraft it in terms of "what year were you born?"

That way, it will remain correct as people get older.

OK. What choices would you put? Would you put a range of years in the same sort of blocks that I put above? Do decade blocks? e.g. 1930 - 1940

Edited by StringJunky

Decades (or half decades) would make sense.

There's a potential conflict- essentially there's more difference between 12 and 14 than between 62 and 64 so you would want more finesse at the younger end- unfortunately as years go by the "younger " people aren't young any more.

Decades (or half decades) would make sense.

There's a potential conflict- essentially there's more difference between 12 and 14 than between 62 and 64 so you would want more finesse at the younger end- unfortunately as years go by the "younger " people aren't young any more.

Right. Would you like to critique it now for possible modification. Is the main title ok; How old are you? I'd like to word it and set it up in the most anonymous way possible. The idea is to get the distribution not personal details.

Edit: Poll modified and also finessed for the younger groups as the differences in educational development/physical and mental maturity are greater, as JC pointed out.

Edited by StringJunky

It is a public poll, so I won't be voting on principle. But ...

You kids are such fun ...

In what sense are you against it? You mean the fact that people know what you voted. If so, that wasn't my intention. I thought if I chose the other option, no one would see the data, only me. I didn't want it to be private to me. If the other option meant that only what you voted for was private I would have chosen that, but I don't know. They are ten year blocks for the oldies so it's harder to guess a person's actual age and, as such, privacy in that respect is still relatively good, in my opinion

Edited by StringJunky

In what sense are you against it? You mean the fact that people know what you voted.

I don't much care about revealing my age (except that now it would ruin my humorous comment in the previous post!). But, as a matter of principle, I don't vote on public polls. Just a pointless quirk.

My seeing eye dog didn't read that line to me.

It's funny how we often can''t see what we are looking for and it's right under our nose. I think, probably, we have an expectation what something what should look like and where it should be and that blinds us because it has locked us out of any other possibilities.

Edited by StringJunky

I was born in 1982, which technically makes me a millennial, so I'll be expecting a prize for participating in the poll.

Well of course, doesn't everyone always get participation trophies for everything they participate in?