Easy way to Evolve things fast and efficiently

Kylon

Hello! As most of you know by now, I am highly uneducated but extremely talented when it comes to creativity(I think I have an enlarged part of my brain that does Holistic and Spatial things).

I have an idea for how to evolve things at a fast rate so to create a SUPER RACE.

This would allow a evolutionary breakthrough.

Okay here is the idea.

I was reading in my biology book and I found out about conjugation. I know most of you have large reservoirs of information in your head, but it does little good if you cannot use any of it.

Anyway, I was thinking, what if we took a bunch of human cells from different people, then we took some genes from a micro-organism that used conjugation, injected it into the human cells, had them reproduce.

Then once they reproduced in large numbers, they would begin exchanging good genes amongst each other.

Paramecium have conjugation which (I believe) would and does allow them to evolve at fast rates. The disadvantage of conjugation and why I think it doesn't exist on multi-celluar organisms, is because when one cell exchanges DNA with another cell it doesn't exchange DNA with all the different cells. This would lead to confusion among cells, that might lead to the body attacking itself cancer and other crap.

But, if you were to have hundreds of different humans with good genes, then you had there cells conjugate the DNA, then I think nature would probably wish to keep the best genes and ditch the worthless ones.

Anyway, it would be an easy way to quick evolve a species, since I want my children to be stronger than me I am thinking bout this.

Neurons Transmit/Record DNA- I heard somewhere that Neurons change and transmit DNA. Is there any validity to this? Because if there is... Then when creating superior off spring you could genetically code them with prelearned skills. If the skills were advanced techniques and such then they would never be lost. And that the DNA is related to Learning and memory genes.

I really think this is a bad idea. In my opinion, it is the weak aspects of a persons life that inspires them to acheive and become strong. Those things that come easy and seem to be natural are ignored and hardly taken advantage of.

Humans by nature reject what is given to them to create something of their own, in their own right. Very few people by population make most of the natural talents they have through genetics. (Atheletes and such) Most people are influenced at a very young age with what they expect to accomplish and what they expect to do in life, and nothing; not even genetics nor modeling is going to change that. Just my opinion. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest icemaiden

if we gave away human genes that evolved to be useful to humans how are they going to be useful to paramecium.

those genes would be usless to them and quickly 'dumped' evolution happens because of natural selection favouring fitter genotypes and allowed them to reproduce causing higher fitness in offspring. sexual reproduction doesnt cause evolution it just accelerates it due to more dna recombinations.

asexual organisms only evolve though mutations that occur by radiation altering dna patterns. lethal or maladaptive traits die out and adaptive traits are favoured

What exactly do they teach in schools these days?

Ever heard of the following:

The Holocaust

Eugenics

Ethics

Hitler

Morality

International Human Genetic Trials Legislation

Carrying Capacity

The Top-Down Effect

?

Conjugation isn't about opting to exchange good genes. It's about horizontal transfer of genetic material, which higher organisms manage (in effect) through sexual reproduction.

This increases both variation, and, in common with selection, spread of 'good' genes.

Conjugation wouldn't work in higher organisms because our genes are physically organised within the cell very differently. You can't just pop a length of DNA into a eukaryote as you can with bacteria (or close enough).

I don't know of any evidence or respected theory that DNA is directly manipulated for 'thinking' or memory (except in a different meaning of the word memory which applies to genes). As for transmitting DNA, pffft.

icemaiden, radiation is not the only cause of mutation. DNA could be damaged by chemical reaction in the cell, or there could be an error in one of the proccesses in which DNA is manipulated (usually copying). [EDIT: fair 'nuf, i'll leave it in for the edification of our colleagues ;)]

Guest icemaiden

i know that gillies but I was not about to go into a detailed explanation for people who obviously dont know what they are talking about , secondly it wasnt highly relavant to the topic at hand, my bad, should ahve said 'etc'

and sayonara, its all very well to cut and past the last weeks news articles into a message, but try being creative and telling us why you think they might be relevant?

Originally posted by icemaiden

and sayonara, its all very well to cut and past the last weeks news articles into a message, but try being creative and telling us why you think they might be relevant?

If you can find such an article I will dance naked on my webcam for you, I'm that confident no such article was printed last week. Perhaps this may come as a shock but some of us are capable of original thought based on 'what we have learned'.

Creativity has nothing at all to do with why those things are relevant, and you have nothing to do with my question to Kylon.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest The Barbarian

You know, this is probably not a workable idea (for a number of reasons, some of which are outlined above). But it's a very original and creative thought.

Genius consists of cranking out one damfool idea after another, until you find one that works. But you can't do that, if you don't have the imagination to think of them.

Congratulations. Keep thinking.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Viruses can evolve so quickly partly because they have a form of string DNA (ssDNA).

But, if you really wanted to create your own übermensch and become the next Hitler, you could employ the same techniques used in cattle and dog breeding. Simply allow those with favorable traits the priviledge of breeding. Eugenics is completely possible, only unethical. If we really wanted, we could breed a population of humans with good looks, IQs of 160+, fine athletic skills, artistic talent, etc.

• 3 months later...

Yah, I have heard of Hitler and what not, I think that his methods were wrong(trying to purify the race, which in turned decreased the diversity of the genes) but the general idea of making people faster, stronger, better and what not, is valid. But being willing to do whatever it takes, i.e killing people, is not ethical. However I see no problem with genetic modification.

However Hitler approached Eugenics from the wrong way. He isolated genes responsible for the charactersitics of being Aryan, (which more of less meant having blonde hair blue eyes and mildly tall.) it has nothing to do with intelligence. More importantly, even if we did try to selectively breed "smart" people, that wouldn't work either since human intelligence is almost highly influenced by the environment.

More importantly, in your original experiment, it takes more than a few years and decades to truly evaluate the value of the gene. The gene that might seem bad today might actually be beneficial 2morrow. An example of this would be heterozygousity of the alleles responsible for sickle cell disease (either that of haemophilia, but i'm pretty sure its sickle cell) that provides an immunity against malaria.

• 1 month later...
Hello! As most of you know by now' date=' I am highly uneducated but extremely talented when it comes to creativity(I think I have an enlarged part of my brain that does Holistic and Spatial things).

I have an idea for how to evolve things at a fast rate so to create a SUPER RACE.

This would allow a evolutionary breakthrough.

Okay here is the idea.

I was reading in my biology book and I found out about conjugation. I know most of you have large reservoirs of information in your head, but it does little good if you cannot use any of it.

Anyway, I was thinking, what if we took a bunch of human cells from different people, then we took some genes from a micro-organism that used conjugation, injected it into the human cells, had them reproduce.

Then once they reproduced in large numbers, they would begin exchanging good genes amongst each other.

Paramecium have conjugation which (I believe) would and does allow them to evolve at fast rates. The disadvantage of conjugation and why I think it doesn't exist on multi-celluar organisms, is because when one cell exchanges DNA with another cell it doesn't exchange DNA with all the different cells. This would lead to confusion among cells, that might lead to the body attacking itself cancer and other crap.

But, if you were to have hundreds of different humans with good genes, then you had there cells conjugate the DNA, then I think nature would probably wish to keep the best genes and ditch the worthless ones.

Anyway, it would be an easy way to quick evolve a species, since I want my children to be stronger than me I am thinking bout this.

Neurons Transmit/Record DNA- I heard somewhere that Neurons change and transmit DNA. Is there any validity to this? Because if there is... Then when creating superior off spring you could genetically code them with prelearned skills. If the skills were advanced techniques and such then they would never be lost. And that the DNA is related to Learning and memory genes.[/quote']

Ha ha ha. You obviously don't have the faintest clue what evolution is. This is complete rubbish.

Maybe you should educate yourself a bit before you decided to claim that your more creative and smarter than most people. Because if anything this post of yours demonstrates the exact oppisite.

Look don't think for a second that everyone else donesn't have these kinda wacky ideas. It's just most poeple have the common sense to think through and investigate their ideas at least for a minute or two before claiming to be a genius.

So lets hypothetically say that you could make a collection of human cells exchange genetic material through a conjugation like process in a peitri dish and have them evolve faster (fat chance). Well the environment that they would be evolving for would be that of the pitri dish and the medium that's contained within. So the first thing that would happen is they would start to "de-evolve" all human traits that aren't advantagous towards survival in a pitri dish. ie. intelligence, any sort of high level multicelluar organisation, sexual reproduction, Uniform chormosome organisation between the cells etc. Next they would start to evolve traits that would be more advantagous ie. Unlimitted and agressive reproduction (meaning they'd go cancerous)...

So you'd be pretty much pointing them on an evolutionary path towards becoming something like a very simplied protists, less advanced than regular protist since even a wild type protist has an environment much more complex to deal with than a pitri dish.

The options of speeding up human evolution are pretty much limited to selective breading or more stress for survivial, speeding up generation times (having children at a younger age), or increasing random mutations.

(Genetic engineering doesn't really count since it is completely directed thus avoiding the chance that evolution implies).

If you want your children to be more "advanced" than you are then you should look towards designer babies, playing with evolution is useless unless your looking for your (great x 100's) grandchildren to be improved.

Look don't be discouraged by this, you're probably young and a bit nieve. Hell I'll admit I am.

But what seems to happen to 99% of most people who think they're smarter than others is they get good marks in highschool enter university and realise that they're about even with everyone else all of a sudden. Such realisations can be heart breaking.