Spa water reclaimation?

drmacro

Hi All,

I did some searching in this forum and on the web with little success...really, almost none.

Given the drought situation in my area, I would like to avoid refilling my spa because the current water is saturated.

This is the term used, by the pool and spa industry, to describe when the chlorine, ph, and hardness chemicals have been used for a while and basically don't do much anymore.

I've looked at reverse osmosis filters, but it appears they dump a high percentage of the water forced through them.

So, is there a way to chemically cause the precipitate out or a different way to remove the chemicals.

I'm chemist and don't play one on tv...I do have a pretty good background in engineering, so I'm not afraid to tinker... :)

Any ideas??

Regards,

Mac

Make it a solar still - even better.

Yeah, I was originally thinking of a hybrid(depending on the volume). Solar stills are normally slow, but if you incorporate the spa itself as a water heater should speed up the evaporation.

Hmm...the solar still might work.

The references I've read say it can get out the chlorine and fluoride.

Does that mean those evaporate at a higher temp than water? or do they go to gas rather than liquid?

Mac

Correct me if I'm wrong...

That means all the folks who think they are drinking water from solar stills that is sans the chlorine and fluoride are mistaken.

And, I would be gaining nothing, since my goal is to remove those things so the water in the spa is sans chemicals as well.

It would, I guess, remove solids and possibly other contaminants though.

"That means all the folks who think they are drinking water from solar stills that is sans the chlorine and fluoride are mistaken."

No, They will be very near to correct.

I'd not like to have to try to measure the fluoride or chloride in water from a good solar still. There will be nearly zero.

The solar still idea would remove essentially anything that wasn't volatile-.

Some chlorine (not chloride) might make tit through the process.

It would certainly be clean enough to reuse in the spa.