SATA drive missing, but not missing...

Apple3.14

Ok, so I built a new computer.

I've had a few problems, but they're probably just id10t errors.

I have everything hooked up now, and the mobo is posting.

I see my HD listed in the boot priority options. I can run the HD software, and partition it, and what have you.

When I go to install windows xp pro is where I have a problem.

It starts up, and gets to the point where it basically says "Do you want to install windows? (hit enter), or not install windows (F3)"

I hit enter, and it then tells me I have no HD.

My question is, WTF?

I've had the hardware tested, and everything checked out, so it must be user error.

Does anyone have any ideas? I know its hard to TS when you aren't actually there, I'm mainly hoping for some previous experience to enlighten me.

I appreciate your help!

So the BIOS can detect the HDD, and you're sure it's detecting the correct HDD?

hmm, how far can you get without the CD?

Like if you try and boot from the HDD what does it say? No OS detected?

Just seeing if it will at least try and read off the HDD.

Have you got a 2nd HDD lying around you could test to see if it is your HDD which is the problem?

What is the exact error you get when you try and instal? (Like word for word?)

OH OH OH... genius idea!

Maybe the jumpers are set the wrong way round, for example if they were set to slave then you can't instal your OS on a slave drive, only a master drive.

Additionally maybe you put the SATA cable into SATA1 port instead of SATA0 port on your mobo, this could make a difference as it'd try to read the HDD from port 0 first, if there was nothing in port0 it might not read port1.

I appreciate your thoughts on this.

The ports are labeled 1 and 2.

I've tried both. (tried 1 originally)

Ya know, I'm not sure what it did when I tried booting directly to the HD. I'll try that.

I went ahead and jacked my IDE HD from my old computer, and slapped that in, and its working fine.

I don't believe jumpers are required for it. I know my HD itself says it doesn't have any, and I'm pretty sure my MOBO is supposed to be jumper free for that. There is something with a jumper on it near the SATA connections though. I'll have to look for some more documentation on it. I checked my manual and it never said what those were for.

Oh well, at least I have my old HD working now. If nothing else, I'll take the new one back and either exchange or just get a refund.

I assume your mobo has IDE (PATA) ports and seperate SATA ports, as opposed to you using a converter?

Just thinking of TS.... the IDE works, but it's on a different port to the SATA, so it could still be either the HDD or the SATA port on the mobo itself.

Yeah, my MOFO has primary and secondary IDE slots, and 2 seperate SATA connections on it.

We tried disabling the IDE channel, and it had no effect.

I returned the original SATA drive, and got a new one (Western Digital this time).

I'm going to try installing it tonight, and see how that goes.

Thanks for your help guys.

Ok, I have the new HD in, and its not detecting it either.

It shows it at the boot, but nothing when I try to install it.

I'm now wondering if the jumper by my SATA connectors on my MOBO need to be adjusted or something. I cannot find any documentation about jumper settings for my board (ASUS P4S800D-X).

Anyone got any other ideas?

Trial and error often works with jumpers, the worst that can happen is, well, it doesn't work! You can't really damage it, just remember how it is at the moment.

HDDs usually do have jumpers on them, so check that.

You say the IDE works fine, it's just when you use SATA it stops working... sounds weird, maybe the SATA ports are damaged? Or the cable is, or it's not set to master or something.

ok ladies and gents, i have an asus P4P800S-E mobo, similar to the one you are using. the jumpers near the SATA connections don't appear to be important according to my manual.

i would try the following:

go into the BIOS setup, into the main page and then go into "IDE Configuration", then check the SATA settings under there. there should be the following settings:

set "Onboard IDE Operate Mode" - set this to "Advanced"

"Enhanced Mode Support On" - set this to "S-ATA"

"Configure S-ATA As RAID" - depending on wether you are going to use the RAID feature set this to "yes" or "no"

Make sure these settings are configured properly before you use your SATA drive.

Also keep the Maxtor, they are better than Western Digital.

:)

I hope this is a help to you, I am running a Maxtor 200GB DiamondMax 10 in my computer and seems to be working fine at the moment. I will reboot my computer in a few minutes and make a note of what settings i have enabled in the BIOS.

The settings above come from my users manual.

I have a P4P800-E (an older version of the one mentioned above). Those settings are what I use for both XP and linux. You should note that if you don't have have enhanced mode support enabled, then it will most likely disable one of the SATA ports and one of the IDE ports. Check the manual for the motherboard, since it varies. Enhanced mode is only supported by 2000/XP, but you shouldn't have a problem there.

My BIOS were not at all similar.

I went through everything again last night, and couldn't find any kind of settings that would effect SATA other than the "enable/disable" option on the main page.