2003 BC Calculus Exam 5-8-03

The MC was pretty easy.

But wow...the free response.

1,4, and 5 were easy...they were the ab topics. 2,3, and 6...man. Each problem had at least one part that almost nobody in my class got right.

I'd never seen some of those types of problems before. 6c: The differential equation! Omg!

Question 3, with the derivitives with respect to y (i got that right...but then converting it to polar and integrating it there!) Also, the parametric questioin might have well just castrated you right there. I'm confident I did well, but I can't imagine how far down they are going to redo the scale.

~Wolf

1. Volume between sqrt(x) and e^-3x

2. parametric with dx/dt = -9(cos)(sin) and a cusp at B.

3. hyperbolia...or whatever it was. y^2-x^2=1

4. Kinda like the 1995 "hump check". Line with semicircle.

5. EASY. I'm suprised they didn't make it a cone. THis was the coffee pot problem with r=5.

6. Taylor series...which I thought was cos(x) :( Those tricky bastards.

Any views? :)

Having never heard of the paper it's pretty hard to comment on it ;) And the shape is a hyperbola, because it can be defined parametrically using hyperbolic functions (which I'm sure you know anyway).

If you have any questions I'd be happy to lend a hand with them/give insight/whatever.

i don't find them hard...it's just that this one had so many new applications of bc topics that the college board has never presented before. It was harder than previous years, but I'm pretty sure that they are going to lower the scale for people to get 5's.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I took that too. My whole BC class of 10 people thought that the FR was very difficult. We took every released AP Calc BC test for practice in that class, and the 03 test was completely different.

I nailed most of the practice exams, especially the free response sections, so I felt sick to my stomach after the 03 exam.

I think I got most of the MC questions, I answered (with confidence) all but 2 questions. I don't remember exactly what I did on the FR section, but I did leave many parts completely blank.

Well, needless to say, the people at ETS definitely applied a strong curve and I made a 5 :)

Oh, no, they ETS will only release an AP exam every few years. I recall that they've released the 95 and 98 exams (I don't remember, but i think they also released 92, 89, ..etc), but I have never seen anything after the '98 exam. Anyway, most of the exam materials are sealed up and considered confidential, or something like that...

it's quite unfortunate too, because i'd LOVE to get my hands on the 03 test I took and figure out every problem... you see, the free response problems aren't necessarily difficult, but when they take away your calculator and give you a time limit they are!!! but yeah, it'd be fun to go back and redo those FR problems w/ unlimited time... they're the type of problems that make you feel really good once you figure them out ;)

stiles said in post #5 :

AP tests are HARD [/b]

Ain't that the truth. I totally bombed the free response questions on the AP calculus exam...come to think of it, i bombed all the free response questions on all the tests I took. I'm an idiot. Thank god for the generous curves

Hey, a 4 is good quack, especially for calc. i made a 3 on the english language test. that's actually good for me, considering how relatively bad I am at english/reading/writing. but then again i was aiming for a 4, and it just so happened that the english test was all weird this year too. the MC was really toned down (easy), but the free response essays were too hard to write about... i don't know anyone that was pleasantly surprised w/ their ap engl score this year

dave--i saved my BC calc tests, i have them somewhere in my super big calculus binders. i could probably dig out the 1998 test and scan it.

• 3 months later...

yeah, i remember those questions... they were the hardest BC calc free response questions of any AP test. That probably explains why the 2003 test had the highest fail rate out of any other BC calc test from any year.

Question 1: I answered it with complete confidence.

Q2: I remember freaking out about this one. I scribbled down as much as I could for partial credit, but I think I missed a lot of it.

Q3: hahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahaha.... i can't believe i didn't answer ©... for some reason i just couldn't think at the time...MORON! the rest i got though

Q4: answered all but (d).. again, the time constraints creat so much pressure and stress ...

Q5: answered all... I'm sure i messed up on my algebra for part ©... if i remember, you have to use the quadratic formula, and i got something messy...

Q6: answered all those.