Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --- OPENS FRIDAY!!!

Lance

Are you bringing your towel?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you bringing your towel?

• YES, I'M GOING FRIDAY!!!!
    • Yes, but I'm not going on opening night.
    • No.
    • I'm not going to see it at all, you nerds.

Actually' date=' in terms of continuity, storyline, and overall general pointfulness, the books are quite poor. Parts of the third and fourth books completely contradict the earlier ones, and the fifth not only does the same again but kills off a central character of the fourth book in a footnote, and then devotes a whole second footnote to describing their partner's sadness about this (almost the whole fourth book was about their relationship).

[/quote']

Well, that's what happens when you start messing around with space-time.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey, if anybody wants to meet me:

4:15 if you reside in WV, Charleston :) I can PM you the specific theatre.

The friends I'm goign w/ are complete nerds though. I'm not inviting my GF because of them :rolleyes:

british humor' date=' towels, and amazingly euphoric robots called collin (hes my favorite), time travel, atleast one instance of spontaniously existing penguines, and tea.

hang-on-wait, is this made by hollywood? i dont think a us company can have done it very well...[/quote']

I have got to watch this. Did someone mention penguins taking over the world?

I have got to watch this. Did someone mention penguins taking over the world?
This is no mere single-planet snatching penguin plot, this is galactic in scope! It's obvious how a simple Earthling like you got the reputation for being harmless.

Mostly harmless.

I'm not going to see it when it opens, but that's just because I've been wanting to read the books for a while and don't want to 'ruin it' for myself by seeing the movie first.

Is the movie supposed to be of the first book in the series, or does it span more than one?

I'm not going to see it when it opens, but that's just because I've been wanting to read the books for a while and don't want to 'ruin it' for myself by seeing the movie first.
Very smart. As J'Dona mentioned, so much of Douglas Adams wit is between the dialogue, so without a narrator repeating those words, any movie is going to fall short.
I think just the first one' date=' with an extra sub-plot.[/quote']Whew! Though I would love to see what these guys would come up with for the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, I was not looking forward to seeing the first three books crammed into one movie. I never watch trailers of movies I want to see, so I had no idea.
Is pj's and a bath robe with the towel too much.
No. Be comfortable.

Whew! Though I would love to see what these guys would come up with for the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, I was not looking forward to seeing the first three books crammed into one movie. I never watch trailers of movies I want to see, so I had no idea.

They are adding an extra sub-plot that's not in the books, though. They part is being played by John Malkovitch.

Wait! Before you guys start getting POed, As I understand it, Dounglas Adams still wrote the story for the subplot and was planning on adding it into the movie, before he died.

One of the great things about "Histchhiker's" is that they're are slight variations depending on what medium the story is told. (Various radio shows, books television series and now a movie)

For your drinking plesure

Notes:

• Always serve ice cold.
  • For best results' date=' chill all alcohol in freezer before and after preparation.
    [*']Serve with lemon wedges as chaser or garnish. (see other mixes below)

Mix:

• 4 parts Absolut Citron (This is the backbone of the drink. For the lemon taste.)
  • 1 part Goldschlager (Careful, not too much! For the gold flakes, the cinnamon taste is weakened later.)
  • 1 part Bacardi 151 rum (Stop making that face, it's only 1/7th of the drink! For golden tint.)
  • 1 part Everclear (Yes, you have to. It cuts the clingy effect of the cinnamon Goldschlager.)

british humor' date=' towels, and amazingly euphoric robots called collin (hes my favorite), time travel, atleast one instance of spontaniously existing penguines, and tea.

hang-on-wait, is this made by hollywood? i dont think a us company can have done it very well...[/quote']

Collin is not in this one...he is in the final book, only Marvin and my Favorite EDDIE!!! we get to hear him sing :)

"Ford, tu llegas a ser un pinguino. párelo!"

I love it

Proof that I am truly and totally in love with my GF: I'm waiting to see HHGTG until she arrives so we can see it together.

But, on that note, I'm dating a beautiful, brilliant woman who loves HHGTG and Terry Pratchett. I win at life! (and if you disagree, you haven't met my GF.)

Mokele

Thats awesome, Mokele. My on a side note, I too feel so lucky because I feel I have the perfect gf for me too. She loves Aliens movies, science and everything I do, and we have the same sense of humor. Plus shes hot. But she hates most video games because they take my attention away from her.... I used to be so bitter about people that were happy in that aspect of their life, and I can understand why, but now I am so much more happy with her, and I am happy for other people when they find true love.

has anyone here been travelling? its amazing how genuinely useful your towel actually is -- douglas adams wasnt overexageratting, espesially about the fact that you end up having to find a non-towel related way of drying yourself as your towel is pretty soiled from being used for so many different tasks.

if you go travvelling, ALWAYS take your towel.

Was it good, did you like it, did it rock, TELL ME!

I thought it was entertaining, and I liked it but I don't think it rocked. Zaphod was absolutely hilarious though. Also, as far as most of the humor being in the writing goes, the movie had a small amount of narration, such as when the guide to the galaxy was quoted in the books.

Keep in mind that the screen play was written by Douglas Adams, which is both good and bad because it lowers the chances of a sequel with him being dead and all.

I thought it also focused too much on the relationship between Arthur and Trillian. It seemed kind of like a love story. That may just be me though.

Anyway, GO SEE IT!!

Marvin was pretty funny too. I really didn't care much for the actors that played Arthur and Ford though.

I'm really going to have to read the books again. I can't help thinking that Ford Perfect is more of a Brad Pit kind of guy.

I have now had two instances in my life when both a) I realize I want to read Hitchhicker's Guide, and b) I've been in a library. Unfortunatly both times c) the book exists within the library, turned out false :( Instead they both had various other books in the series. I suppose I'll have to go see the movie.

I didnt really like the movie.

Read the books; they're awsome. The movie might have been better if you had not read the book; they left a lot of really funny stuff. They'd be at a spot in the book that was absolutely hilarious and either

a) Screw it up

b) Leave it out.

I was more disappointed then board, though. It was alright but I think it could've been better.

I liked the movie as a movie - not sure about the opening musical number.

Also, as far as most of the humor being in the writing goes, the movie had a small amount of narration, such as when the guide to the galaxy was quoted in the books.

I miss the radio show narration- I always thought the voice of the book was Douglas Adams...