Intelligent Design

SimonFunnell

Firstly, I must let you know that I am Taoist, not a Christian, however I do believe in the second coming of Christ and I do believe he is God, the creator of the universe.

That sounds like you are hedging here with Christianity - to offset the loses just incase Taoism is not the 'correct' philosophy.

Anyway... what is it you want to say about abiogenesis?

That it is not possible, that life didn't 'emerge' from some primordial soup because there is no evidence to suggest that and all the evidence suggests otherwise.

Sucks to be you if Hiduism is the True Religion.

Taoism is not a religion.

That it is not possible, that life didn't 'emerge' from some primordial soup because there is no evidence to suggest that and all the evidence suggests otherwise.

What evidence tells us that this is impossible? I mean, can you give mainstream references to works that state this? Or can you give some better argument than 'because we don't know' as to why it is impossible?

What evidence would that be? It has been proven that simple molecules that constitute living cells can be formed in a reductive atmosphere. Heck, simple sugars and amino acids can even be found in stellar clouds.

http://phys.org/news/2014-11-key-block-life-deep-space.html

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/190972-organic-molecules-found-in-the-galactic-core-are-stellar-nurseries-spitting-out-building-blocks-of-life-as-well-as-stars

Kinda sad that within a minute 3 people can falsify your claims. I refer therefor to earlier comments made: read up on the topic instead of making an ass of yourself all the time.

I like to add: since the topic is science, everything related to religion or faith has no place there.

Edited by Fuzzwood

Ok, lets start at the beginning, first, what is the evidence to support the emergence of life?

Why is life not emerging all the time?

All the evidence suggests that each new generation came from the one before it, rather than from nothing.

My basic belief is that the universe was not created in a big bang but is in fact spatially infinite and eternal, immortal.

There is no evidence the universe was created in the big bang. So that's OK.

There is no evidence that the universe is not spatially infinite. So that's OK too.

And the universe may well be eternal, as well.

None of this seems to have much connection with the OP. Apart from confirming that you are a creationist ("I do believe he is God, the creator of the universe") contrary to your denials previously. But that's OK. We are used to that level of dishonesty from religious people.

Can we assume that you have no interest in discussing the science of either abiogenesis or evolution? You have your beliefs and the evidence doesn't matter.

Ok, lets start at the beginning, first, what is the evidence to support the emergence of life?

The fact that there wasn't life and now there is.

Because the conditions have changed?

Because if there were a suitable environment for prebiotic chemical evolution, then it would be destroyed by living organisms exploiting it as a food source.

I will leave it here, you are passing to many judgements on me (i.e. treating me with prejudice).

I am not a creationist, you are just throwing wildly untrue accusations my way.

I am trying to be civil, but the conversation is not.

Can I ask, why are people posting in here? What is your motivation? What are you trying to achieve with your posts exactly?

We pass judgements on your comments, not on you. The only judgement I will make now is that you seem unable to separate yourself from whatever point you are trying to put across. As such it might be possible that any attack on your arguments is viewed as a personal attack.

As for your final question. This is a discussion forum, not a soapbox. If you make claims, be prepared for people to attack them.

Edited by Fuzzwood

I am not a creationist, you are just throwing wildly untrue accusations my way.

I quoted the sentence where you said you were.

I am trying to be civil, but the conversation is not.

It seems very civil to me. Certainly compared to many other forms where this sort of thing comes up. If you think some posts are offensive, please feel free to report them.

But you seem to think that asking for evidence (remember, this is still a science forum) or suggesting that we discuss science, are somehow personal attacks on you.

Can I ask, why are people posting in here? What is your motivation? What are you trying to achieve with your posts exactly?

Well, initially, I thought you were interested in discussing the science of evolution and/or abiogenesis. Both are areas I am interested in.

When it became clear that you are not interested in discussing the science, I became more interested in what you believe and why. I am always fascinated why people choose to believe things that are unsupported or contradicted by the evidence.

The fact that the Earth is covered with life

Maybe it is in some extreme environments - anyway the standard thinking is that the conditions of the early Earth were suited to the emergence of life. The conditions today are very different.

All the evidence suggests that each new generation came from the one before it, rather than from nothing.

Which supports evolution.

When it became clear that you are not interested in discussing the science, I became more interested in what you believe and why. I am always fascinated why people choose to believe things that are unsupported or contradicted by the evidence.

So are you saying there is no evidence for Jesus being God?

Edited by SimonFunnell

I am not a creationist ...

Are you sure? I mean, you seem to be suggesting that the formation of life, and the evolution thereof is not natural. Or are we mistaken?

Off topic!

Is there? Science can neither prove nor disprove the existence of god. Offtopic by the way as this is moving the goal posts from discussing ID.

Edited by Fuzzwood

Is this not in religion now?

Still you have decided to dive the discussion off topic - I am not sure why.

So back to evolution and abiogenesis please.

Edited by ajb

I said no such thing. I though we were discussing evolution and/or abiogenesis.

If this is just going to be a thread on your personal religious views then I have no interest (and I expect the mods will take a dim view).

Still you have decided to dive the discussion off topic - I am not sure why.

Strange said "I am always fascinated why people choose to believe things that are unsupported or contradicted by the evidence."

I thought he might be interested in why I choose to believe.

I thought he might be interested in why I choose to believe.

Then make your case as to why you support the idea of creationism - we are not generally interested in very personal views of religion.

You can find it here also:

http://204.3.136.66/visitors/main.html

Go down to section 10 and have a look at the table with a lamp on.

Things are arranged is such a way that the table and lamp make the iconic logo, clever!

Is this not in religion now?

What does the fact that humans have created logos based on triangles or pyramids have to do with the subject of evolution and/or abiogenesis?

Edited by Strange