A World of Vegans

If majority of people on Earth is a vegan, do you all think it will help with saving the environment? why or why not?

To me, more vegans will mean less factory farming which is ruining our planet with excess release of carbon dioxide contributing to global warming, manure from animals causing water pollution and deforestation to make way for crops to feed livestock.

Edited by ModernArtist25

I think it's a bit harsh, but if the world was full of vegans and they're the only meat source, I suppose I could make do. I'm willing to do my part for a cleaner environment.

I've heard they taste like chicken, but that doesn't really motivate me. Can you make vegans that taste like bacon?

From what i understand it would help curb greenhouse gas emissions, but you will never convince a free world to not eat meat: people enjoy it too much, the consequences be damned.

A compromise might be to instil the idea that meat is a treat to be savoured, rather than some nebulous gristle to be found wrapped in breadcrumbs or in some ready meal.

Unfortunately the organisations that might have the will and influence to instil such changes are religious, and they are far too busy wasting their time counting the angels on some pinhead.

From what i understand it would help curb greenhouse gas emissions, but you will never convince a free world to not eat meat: people enjoy it too much, the consequences be damned.

A compromise might be to instil the idea that meat is a treat to be savoured, rather than some nebulous gristle to be found wrapped in breadcrumbs or in some ready meal.

Unfortunately the organisations that might have the will and influence to instil such changes are religious, and they are far too busy wasting their time counting the angels on some pinhead.

hmm...that's actually a pretty good idea, just having the meat as a treat to be savored. The traditional Okinawans actually only ate meat during big festivals and most of their diet consisted of sweet potatoes.And they lived a long lifespan

Edited by ModernArtist25

Vegans always present a simplistic argument. There are vast areas on the planet which have so little topsoil and such a bad climate that the only thing which will grow is grass. Why don't we eat grass? Because we have not evolved to do so. But we can use that land by rearing sheep and goats and eating them. What is wrong with doing that?

I've met quite a few vegans. They were people living in Wales (predominantly dairy/sheep country) on state benefit, having vitamin B12 injections on the state health service. They were obviously too stupid to see the irony of it all. If only a vegan could tell me once and for all where they get their vitamin B12 if not from dairy produce.

Yes, vegans are easier on the environment. However, meat will one day be produced in vitro, so it will require fewer resources.

and will this vitro cause more environmental issues?

Vegans always present a simplistic argument. There are vast areas on the planet which have so little topsoil and such a bad climate that the only thing which will grow is grass. Why don't we eat grass? Because we have not evolved to do so. But we can use that land by rearing sheep and goats and eating them. What is wrong with doing that?

I don't see anything wrong with sheeps and goats eating grass, but when we start to take away the animal's freedom and have them live in a lonely dirty confined environment to benefit us humans, that's when the issue comes in

I agree totally. If animals used for food are not treated humanely, then there are real ethical issues which few people seem to bother about. But it is the principle of being a vegan which I just do not understand. We have evolved to eat meat, and I see nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately, this gives rise to vile practices such as pig concentration camps and the eating of veal, force feeding of geese and so on.

EdEarl, on 23 Jul 2016 - 12:38 PM, said:

Yes, vegans are easier on the environment. However, meat will one day be produced in vitro, so it will require fewer resources.

and will this vitro cause more environmental issues?

More than ? IDK

http://www.factoryfarmmap.org/problems/

Food & Water Watch estimates that the livestock and poultry on the largest factory farms in 2012 produced 369 million tons of manure

Presumably in vitro meat production would make zero manure, but what waste would it produce and how much...IDK.

They were obviously too stupid to see the irony of it all. If only a vegan could tell me once and for all where they get their vitamin B12 if not from dairy produce.

I'm not a vegan at all. However vitamin B12 isn't made by animals it is made by bacteria. It can be fermented in a manner similar to alcohol production.

I think it's a bit harsh, but if the world was full of vegans and they're the only meat source, I suppose I could make do. I'm willing to do my part for a cleaner environment.

Or the vegans eat people like you instead. Veganism isn't a diet, after all.

I agree totally. If animals used for food are not treated humanely, then there are real ethical issues which few people seem to bother about. But it is the principle of being a vegan which I just do not understand. We have evolved to eat meat, and I see nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately, this gives rise to vile practices such as pig concentration camps and the eating of veal, force feeding of geese and so on.

I suppose we've also evolved to live in cities, drive cars, use computers, etc...

In this day and age many people have a choice. That people choose their taste buds is one thing, using evolution as an excuse is another. Back when I still ate meat I certainly didn't try to justify it, I simply didn't give a damn. Is that so hard to admit?

I suppose we've also evolved to live in cities, drive cars, use computers, etc...

Our species has been hunter-gatherers for getting on for 1,000,000 years, or maybe half that time. This is time enough to talk of evolution, and during that time we have evolved over thousands of generations to be meat-eaters. The developments over one century are nothing to do with evolution, at least not yet.

Back when I still ate meat I certainly didn't try to justify it, I simply didn't give a damn. Is that so hard to admit?

Many of us grew up and found we both gave a damn AND love meat, like the omnivores we are. And we have no need to justify it.

In this day and age many people have a choice. That people choose their taste buds is one thing, using evolution as an excuse is another. Back when I still ate meat I certainly didn't try to justify it, I simply didn't give a damn. Is that so hard to admit?

I have to admit, I'm too selfish to let go of meat. But by nature, human beings are selfish, altruism does not exist. Everything we do is either for personal gratification or to protect our ego(we avoid feeling guilty or shame when we can)

But I try to eat less meat and support free-range meat anyway I can, that's the best I can do :)

Edited by ModernArtist25

If majority of people on Earth is a vegan, do you all think it will help with saving the environment? why or why not?

To me, more vegans will mean less factory farming which is ruining our planet with excess release of carbon dioxide contributing to global warming, manure from animals causing water pollution and deforestation to make way for crops to feed livestock.

no,not help because there will be no animals that were held as livestock on the planet and some animals have become too dependant on thoes animals and their population will decrease or die out, and im sure some people will die from this,some people cant live without meat. yes it will help with less carbon emittions and yes it will help with water polution but I dont think it will help with deforestation, in fact it will make it worse, people will need to eat more food because they will have to replace the meat with plants and they will have to clear out more forsets for the crops. animal products gives you more fat and protein. land used for animals and their food will be used for people but I think thats still not enough. I dont htink its good for anyone to go vegan.

Have the vegetarians considered that if every person became a vegetarian, instead of the cattle being global warming fart factories the human population will be the culprits instead? :) Therefore, the problem is merely transferred and not negated. Mushy peas or baked beans anyone?

Edited by StringJunky

Have the vegetarians considered that if every person became a vegetarian, instead of the cattle being global warming fart factories the human population will be the culprits instead? :) Therefore, the problem is merely transferred and not negated. Mushy peas or baked beans anyone?

I've always said giving up meat would really stink!

@Lyudmilascience

Vegan is good for people and the environment.

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/96338-preventive-medicine-expert-advocates-a-plant-based-diet/

At least the population density will decrease:)

So you think if Vegans don't exist at all, it won't have any affect on the global warming or environment as a whole?

i never said that, i think veganism can have good effects particularly on global warming but i think it will have a negitive effects on the enviorment as a whole.I also think there is a problem with the fact that it can not be reversed, once something is extinct its not possible for us to bring it back. lack of grazing and trampling has a negitive effect on the enviorment http://managingwholes.com/animal-impact.htm andextinction of other farm animals also has a negative effect for bacteria and bugs. there is a good youtube video i want to link its a debate on veganism versus the things it can do to the enviorment but i cant find it right now.

That's it! You've fixed the overpopulation problem. :)

Crap! Wrong thread!

Vegan is good for people and the environment.

But since B12 deficiencies can cause dementia, how do we know you've taken your supplements? How can we trust what you say?

Vegan extremism is very scary. You guys are pale and you sometimes look like ghosts.

This thread needs more empathy.

But by nature, human beings are selfish, altruism does not exist. Everything we do is either for personal gratification or to protect our ego(we avoid feeling guilty or shame when we can)

And why would we try to avoid guilt and shame? Could it possibly be because we know we've done something wrong? If what you're saying is true, then you can just screw your ego and do whatever the hell you want without feeling guilt and shame at all.

What a way to look at people. Yeah, humans do lots of things wrong, but it's just a matter of mental development.