about intellectual-popular journals

blue89

hi;

I need some scientist's experiences ,my specific questions are below ;

1) do such journals care that from which (type of) journals our article's citation-references have been done

(the equivalent question is whether will it be better us to cite and give references from just that journal we would submit our articles?)

2) how the ranks are being given according to this website : http://www.scimagojr.com/journalrank.php

3) does this mean that if one journal is "open access" ,then it will not be well known journal

and I see we are able to make show all open access journals via using item on the website (given above) , but let think we found any journal by google search ,then how may we control whether it is open access or not?

thanks.

Edited by blue89

1) do such journals care that from which (type of) journals our article's citation-references have been done

(the equivalent question is whether will it be better us to cite and give references from just that journal we would submit our articles?)

I don't think they really care - meaning the editors and referees - what journals the reference you give are in, as long as you reference are sensible and up to date.

2) how the ranks are being given according to this website : http://www.scimagojr.com/journalrank.php

I think that they generally agree with other methods of ranking. The Impact Factor seems to be the one most people use. So find a journal that has publsihed the papers you are reading and rank then using IF. (Not that I like IF, but it is what people use)

3) does this mean that if one journal is "open access" ,then it will not be well known journal

and I see we are able to make show all (only) open access journals via using item on the website (given above) , but let think we found any journal by google search ,then how may we control whether it is open access or not?

Some journals you can pay to make the articles avaliable to everyone. Some good journals have this option.

I think that they generally agree with other methods of ranking. The Impact Factor seems to be the one most people use. So find a journal that has publsihed the papers you are reading and rank then using IF. (Not that I like IF, but it is what people use)

really,the exact query/hint was not this one, I wondered that how we would learn any journal's ranking by the parameters given at that website (SJR: look there were some parameters like this : H,Q (indexed)....etc)

Some journals you can pay to make the articles avaliable to everyone. Some good journals have this option.

hımm did you mean that we may not say if any journal requires high payment for publishing ,then we will NOT be able to say at least this one would be better than any other journals (especially which is open access)

really Although I have asked this, I think this question is own is not so logical. but we know that editors will be a bit tired only with assessment of articles. especially physical and mathematical articles are will be strict in my minfd.

however I see Nature contain well designed pictures ,grapphics and some related other appearnce. but still I am not enough to speak about the content.

and probaly it would take very long time to submit to this journal for first time (prediction is almost over than 1 - 2 years. (for first time/one))

Edited by blue89

I tend to find a journal and look for the IF on their website. It is usually quite clear if that have one.

I have never paid for a publication to appear - so I don't know how the cost of open access compares across journals. I don't know if this is linked to IF.

To be honest, I would forget Nature as place you try to submit your first paper. Unless others who know your work - say PhD supervisor or something suggests it. As you are maths focused I am also doubtful that Nature is that interested, but I could be wrong. The best thing to do is to submit to journals that have published the papers you are reading as part of your background work.

The cost for publishing is entirely the decision of the journal and is absolutely independent from IF. Often additional fees are applied for open access and colour figures. But really, Nature at this stage would almost be clearly a waste of time. It is basically trying to compete in an olympic marathon without knowing the route nor, in fact, which shoe to wear.

IF

sorry,I don't know this,what did you mean via using this word.?

here are two important points

1) charonY says

The cost for publishing is entirely the decision of the journal and is absolutely independent from IF.

2) ajb says

I have never paid for a publication to appear

I think there are some strange facts ; at firs editors are spending their times ,I mean they already deserve that fee ,this is separate that I do not afford now this, but for instance when I sent my abstract to editor, she asked this is open access journal ,but we aks the author whether they are able to pay. if not ,we do not require ,but i,f they would we take payment. would you pay?

I said unluckily I can not now, but if I be richy one day ,probably I will donate volunteerly. look please

mathematical and physical literatures (especially pure ons) are not easy literatures at realty , you can check ajb's ... and probably this point make it difficult to evaluate and take longer time from general other parts of science.

at final I would respond the two implicational question (I see)

1) ajb ;

To be honest, I would forget Nature as place you try to submit your first paper. Unless others who know your work - say PhD supervisor or something suggests it. As you are maths focused I am also doubtful that Nature is that interested,

charonY

But really, Nature at this stage would almost be clearly a waste of time. It is basically trying to compete in an olympic marathon without knowing the route nor, in fact, which shoe to wear.

I have not clearly understood what you implied ,but if you implied that my paper which I am concentrating on was not so great enough to be published at nature I am unable to give any detail now ; but I can say that it does not contain so difficult numeric / fomulative expressions , but it contains new clues or new alegements and I think I have been succesful at my allegements.however I may be required to use some grapphics and some formulas in LaTeX form but I am not enough at these. almost do not know how to use now.. :(

I respect your ideas.

Edited by blue89

sorry,I don't know this,what did you mean via using this word.?

IF = Impact Factor

would you pay?

I have never paid myself or used grant money for open access - the reason is simply I put all my papers of the arXiv, so people can get them anyway.

I would not pay from my own pocket. I would use grant money or something similar.

I said unluckily I can not now...

Sometimes editors can reduce or remove fees - if they have any. They can do this if you are from a poor country. I am not sure if Turkey is poor in this sense. You would have to ask the journals yourself about this.

I have not clearly understood what you implied ,but if you implied that my paper which I am concentrating on ; does not contain so difficult numeric / fomulative expressions , but it contain new clues or new alegements and I think I have been succesful at my allegements.

You do not seem to understand how difficult it is to get published in Nature. And since you have no experience here, I would suggest that other journals are more sutiable.

For example, how many papers in the bibliography of your paper are published in Nature? Also, Nature does not tend to publish mathematical works in general.

Edited by ajb

IF = Impact Factor

thanks for this. okay this seems useful or logical factor at all (although I do not know the complete content of this term now)

You do not seem to understand how difficult it is to get published in Nature. And since you have no experience here, I would suggest that other journals are more sutiable.

For example, how many papers in the bibliography of your paper are published in Nature? Also, Nature does not tend to publish mathematical works in general.

sorry,I think this is illogical reason. think these examples :

1)anyone cannot be born as a great scientist ,2)there should be at least any option like this for new candidate whoes would be great at science (or whoes would create new useful formulas / new developments at sceince.

I mean this should not be related whether you have published any paper at that journal or not. but in my opinion the content of its must be the most important (impact factor)

I would emphais repeatedly that this is my own opinion ...please do not hesitate to criticize , I alrady trust this two scientists (Charon Y and ajb) that already they will not insult anyone. it is clear that you are series and I am being happy with communication (ajb is already friendly).

probably communication would be useful at such subjects. (and you can trust me that I have good manner)

I do not agree albert einstein at just this subject.

renew please your page.

Edited by blue89

sorry,I think this is illogical reason. think these examples :

I am not following your arguments here at all.

The fact is Nature is very very very difficult to get published in. It is a real achievement to get a paper accepted in Nature. That is why I think - given your background and experiences - that you are aiming too high.

I for one do not expect to ever publish in Nature - they are not really interested in maths.

dear ajb ;

I think you are missing something , look

I believe , the papers in how ratio be useful (contain useful techniques/ways ,it will mean how it is great.

you are missing only this point ,or else as I expressed at facebook ,I surely believe that you studied hard at last at one of these education levels

MSc & PhD

but regrettebly and unfortunately ,writing difficult papers and writing useful papers are separate :(

pure mathematics is generally useless at this century

The fact is Nature is very very very difficult to get published in. It is a real achievement to get a paper accepted in Nature. That is why I think - given your background and experiences - that you are aiming too high.

I for one do not expect to ever publish in Nature - they are not really interested in maths.

you can be sure ,I can predict both these two points and ...

yes ,when I opened account at nature ,yes I saw this that there were no information of mathematics in their interest list.

but predicted they would be interested to publish useful (intellectual) papers.

however ,I think generally physicists know methematics and the raito of this mathematical knowlegde level is changing. hımm the thing what I may say ,the physicists who are writing at nature may have qualified mathematical knowledge. (I saw this when I looked their one literature)

Edited by blue89

I think you are missing something , look

I really think it is you that is missing the point that Nature is very very fussy and very very very hard to get published in. By far most of the papers they get sent are rejected at the editorial stage without peer-review. I expect that - just based on how journals work and what you have said so far - your paper will be rejected at the editorial stage. You should show a full version to some experts in the subjects you write about and see if they share my opinion.

I could be wrong and your work is a game changer and opens up new things... but in all honesty very few works are actually like that.

You should show a full version to some experts in the subjects you write about ....

sorry ,I will never do this!.. thats why I fear from plagiarism. in my opinion the best thing would be submission when it be ready.

but ..I see you are warning me from the risk of taking rejection in this case ;

okay yes this is not good thing and will not make me happy ,but:

did you mean any sanction if I take rejection?? (e.g. being impossible anymore if nature rejects)

and..

I could be wrong and your work is a game changer and opens up new things... but in all honesty very few works are actually like that.

I am sure while studying at (pure) matheamictics is difficult (takes large amount of time) ,it does not provide mathematicians earning so much money ...(look this sentence contain highly contrast and strange problem!..(why in case you are studying hard ,you are not able to earn enough money?? compare in turkey I heard 6 year ago that any ass.professor doctor at medical science (medicine) were earning over 30.000 turkşsh liras (circa: 10000$) at istanbul university ,any mathematician whoa are ass..professor dr. (just like you) were earning only 2800 turkish liras (circa: 900$)

medical scientists (ass.prof.dr) earn : 10.000$

mathematical ass.prof. earn only 900$

isn't there any problem? ..and remember please mathematicians are intimately study hard. Iam sure!.

my opinion: we need to create or make mathematics useful. -->> this will make it valuable

Edited by blue89

sorry ,I will never do this!.. thats why I fear from plagiarism.

I think you worry about this too much.

in my opinion the best thing would be submission when it be ready.

As this will be you first paper it may not be obvious to you when it is ready. It helps to have some kind of mentor or at least a few experts you can ask for their opinions on the paper.

but ..I see you are warning me from the risk of taking rejection in this case ;

More than that ... I am saying sending the paper to Nature will almost certianly result in rejection.

okay yes this is not good thing and will not make me happy ,but:

Rejection is part of life - you almost expect it from the higher ranking journals. Right now I am having problems with a paper!

did you mean any sanction if I take rejection?? (e.g. being impossible anymore if nature rejects)

There is no sanction if you get rejected. Just you cannot resubmit the paper unless asked to do so. Or you can try to fight with the editors - this usually does not work.

The rest of the post seems off topic.

really I can't understand ....why you are so sure that in prediction of taking rejection...

I can't understand ..

why will not I be enough to prepare my article by my own..?

could you give some proofs more clearly..(?)

and I am unable to differ whether what related the contradiction with..

once you will read articles enough

then you will claim your allegement

okay you will use enough fererence and good citation ..

and what is any alse requirement..

I intimately can't see the the proof why you are being so sure me to take rejection.

Edited by blue89

really I can't understand ....why you are so sure that in prediction of taking rejection...

I can't understand ..

Rejection from Nature I mean - maybe not in general. The reason is, as I have said many times now, is that Nature is a very hard journal publish a paper. Simple as that.

why will not I be enough to prepare my article by my own..?

I have not said that. Only that the usual thing to do - and as you have no experience this maybe very helpful - is to discuss drafts of the paper with experts. Maybe there is someome at your university that can offer you direct help?

I have not said that. Only that the usual thing to do - and as you have no experience this maybe very helpful - is to discuss drafts of the paper with experts. Maybe there is someome at your university that can offer you direct help?

no , I do not need them at first I am already hardworking (as I said) and as a second repetation: as I have given both on my profile at this forum and on my facebook profile

I have ability to study/work individually I mean I already do not need them.however yes they are not willing to help anyone there in turkey generally. they do not want to behave as out of system's rules.

. and I would continue studying hard.

My goal is to be efficacious to humanity ...via creating developments at science. be sure I have a very creative personality.

dear ajb, really I already love almost everyone (with no difference religion,gender nationality and economic status)

okay I still have had economic problems and as I said I would keep studying hard.

I have experienced too many events whiches are related ethics directly.

I am sure I am inteligent and will try to preapere my papers

I have these lackness now

I don't know how to use LaTeX now.

I don't know how to use grapphics under convenience of nature's literatures.

I mean I am asking whether it will take a long time to learn using these programmes.

Edited by blue89

...I mean I already do not need them.

Okay, if you really think so - but this is not really how research works. But that maybe another topic.

I don't know how to use LaTeX now.

You will need to learn basic. It is not hard to get the basics. I am learning new things in LaTex all the time.

Also with Nature, be aware that they publish only 7 or 8% of the papers sent to them. Just playing the numbers game here, I think your chance of acceptence is low.

The usual thing to do is look at your bibliography and see what journals your refrences appear in. Go for one of those - that is my honest advice.

Also with Nature, be aware that they publish only 7 or 8% of the papers sent to them. Just playing the numbers game here, I think your chance of acceptence is low.

could you clarify your expression given in bold above plese, I saw this twice interior of this conversation. and have not understood well what you implied.

did you imply that I have been teasing ..

really this is incorrect!..I am series.

The usual thing to do is look at your bibliography and see what journals your refrences appear in. Go for one of those - that is my honest advice.

this is also unclear on what have been mentioned , which of these have you wanted to imply;

1) you should check references whiches will appear at your paper

2) check your bakground please ,if you have not published any paper at nature yet,you will probably be extremely unable to get publih paper at nature.

if your implication was the first one ,then yes you are definitely correct!..

if it was the second one then ,I do not think it would be logical

and..

yes I believe you are speaking honestly,there is no matter on this idea..

renew please the page.

Edited by blue89

could you clarify your expression given in bold above plese, I saw this twice interior of this conversation. and have not understood well what you implied.

They reject about 92 or 93% of the papers they get... think about that. The odds are very stacked against you from the start!

1) you should check references whiches will appear at your paper

Yes, and then select a journal or two to submit your paper to. Your chances of getting the paper accepted will be better in other journals. You stand a better chance if the journal has already published something similar.

2) check your bakground please ,if you have not published any paper at nature yet,you will probably be extremely unable to get publih paper at nature.

Thats a different question... but it maybe the case that once you have one article published you stand a better chance of getting another accepted. I don't know and it does not matter as you have not published in Nature before.

1)They reject about 92 or 93% of the papers they get...

2)Thats a different question... but it maybe the case that once you have one article published you stand a better chance of getting another accepted. I don't know and it does not matter as you have not published in Nature before.

1)I think if nature is an intellectual journal, then this journal should accept such contents!.( I am also sure on this subject, I recommend that you follow nature's posts on facebook or follow nature as alert. their posts and e-mails show us that they are willing to be interested in useful scientific developments especially whiches are great.)

2) ok. I would get published articles only whiches are offer useful expressions ,or usefuld techniques.

we missed to speak of an interesting question.

Nature is sci indexed. but the article which I was thinking to make publish at this journal was interdiscipline between

mathematics-sociology or

mathematics-ethics.

and as you see this probably will be a newest type of literature.

but there the exact question is how to choose such papers in which journals ,sci or ssci.

ssci indexed will never understand properly. because I am generally using topologic theories.

1)I think if nature is an intellectual journal, then this journal should accept such contents!.

LOL... you will learn in the world of publishing it is never quite that simple. I am sorry, but you are coming across so naïve and not showing much humility. You are young and full of yourself, I accept that.

...will never understand properly. because I am generally using topologic theories.

Which is why - in mathematics for sure - it is usually best to go for a specalist journal. If the results are of interest to a wider group then maybe a more general maths journal will take the paper - typically more general journals have higher IF. Anyway, look at the journals that the papers you cite are published in.

Edited by ajb

LOL... you will learn in the world of publishing it is never quite that simple. I am sorry, but you are comming across so naïve and not showing much humility. You are young and full of yourself, I accept that.

ok ajb. intimately I had not tried to imply something ..(may make hurts someone.)

but remember please the ratios I gave at the first page ( any professor was gaining how much money : comparison with a professor who is mathematician and any professor who was a professor at medical science. (this is not for ass.professor ,just it is convenient to speak about professors too)

you are missing there exist unscrupulous numbers with cmparison money.(I know something more)

I am unsrure but ...if ..

if it will be the best way to make you undestand ,I may send you the project's shape which had been sent to harbard gsas.

but plesase don't forget. this is not promising.

only thinking now...

and think..

be sure.

If I was not sure that it was containing great context in it ,I would not send this respective university.

and in addition ...I have something more.

really I have been a bit tired. today I have had toefl exam..

if it will be the best way to make you undestand...

Make me understand what?

,I may send you the project's shape which had been sent to harbard gsas.

I do not think your project or paper (not sure which now) is in my field - so I cannot really offer much real advice, other than maybe some general advice.

If I was not sure that it was containing great context in it ,I would not send this respective university.

Sending something like a proposal for a PhD project is nothing at all like sending a paper to Nature!

it is already clear that you are studied hard to prepare all papers ..when I looked only two of them..

really this was not discussion.

I succiently meant studying hard ang gaining money may be sparate.

check please : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niels_Henrik_Abel you should heard this one.

I apology if I gave any hurts even if it was very little.

speaking thats..

Sending something like a proposal for a PhD project is nothing at all like sending a paper to Nature!

ecancermedicalscience said to me ,that some journals may have suitable protocols to also publish projects.

other subject was that ..

I believe mathematicians who are studying only pure mathematics ..might be incorrect.

they are studying hard and harder generally in comparison other scientists.

but they are not gaining so rational money. I don't imply their willingness there.

but I imply the ability.

don't you still agree this idea.??

I am going out. the time is 23.33 p.m and I am still at library ..

far away from my home.

yesterday I slept only around 3 hours

but I generally sleep around 4 hours or if I am luck at any day I am sleeping up to 6-6.30 hours.

I will express one thing while I am leaving.

I don't know the exact information but I think someone who has published over or around 10 papers at sci indxed journals , he/she may be a professor at turkey.

because I know the compulsory (but enough) requirement to be ass.prof aor asociate prof. is to publishing only one paper at any sci indexed journal

good nights.

ecancermedicalscience said to me ,that some journals may have suitable protocols to also publish projects.

I don't know any, but the kind of project you are talking about is not really in my field.

I believe mathematicians who are studying only pure mathematics ..might be incorrect.

This sounds like another topic. Start a new thread if you want.