Gardens

Silencer

The gardening season is about to begin for most Americans (and I imagine most people on SFN). So let's hear your plans!

I've already got about 15 potatoes in the ground. I'm also going to have some tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, pepperoncinni (hopefully, but if not then banana) peppers, and sugar snap peas. Maybe a few herbs or anything else that catches my eye or I think of.

I also want to get a type of plant called a brugmansia. I think it's pretty neat and would like to try it (if you have one then please let me know!)

Well, I just took all of my plants out of dormancy (those that were in dormancy, by which I mean in my refrigerator), and re-potted them a few weeks ago.

As it stands, the Alice's sundew and Nepenthes couldn't take the low humidity, so I had to bring them back into a terrarium w/ grow lights, where they're recovering. The Venus Flytrap got damaged by a freak hailstorm, but is recoving, and my white pitcher plant seems to be barely straggling along, so I bought another one recently.

On the up-side, I ordered a hybrid plant along with it, and my parrot, hooded, purple, pale, and yellow pitcher plants are all doing wonderfully, as are my cape and forked sundews. The hooded and parrot pitcher plants are producing 2 flowers each, so I'm gonna produce a stock of hybrids and 2 pure lines for next year. Last year, the hooded pitcher plant produced seeds, which are currently sitting in peat, and should germinate in about 5 weeks.

Maybe one day I'll actually try growing a plant that *isn't* carnivorous....

Mokele

What's a Dragon Plant?

I tried to force some tulips for planting, so I could fill in the empty spaces in my garden [who remembers exactly where the bare spots in the early spring are in the late fall?], but it doesn't seem to be working.

I have a very small yard, so I can only do a simple garden, peppers and peas and the obligatory tomato with a little lettuce and a few strawberries for mulch. Plum tomato this year, I haven't picked out the peppers and peas yet.

well I`ve recently taken on another 250^2 metres of land on there I`ll be growing Hops and Barley (you don`t get 10 guesses what for).

on the my other peice of land, I`ve got over 50 Chili plants over 6 varieties to go in, carrots and spring onions, garlic, about 300 onions, 150 potatoes, all the herbs and spices I could wish for including medicinal types, pak choi, letuce, cauliflower, 2 different types of cabbage, raddishes, leeks, wheat, kale, cucumbers, tomatoes and a few giant sunflowers for a competition later in the year.

there`s other stuff too, but there`s a couple to be getting on with :)

edit: and for trees, I have 2 bay, one Plumb a Hazelnut, and 2 figs, and a blue berry bush.

Our cherry, pear, and peach trees bloomed a couple of weeks ago, they're finally getting big enough that they should produce a significant amount of fruit this year...of course it's the year we're moving, but it's been rewarding raising them at least.

The grass is growing nicely, ready to be trampled on a lot when playing football and other sports.

Well, I'm really not into gradening at all and neither are my parents, although my grandparents are. We had to get rid of the blackberry bush because it was getting outta control and the ball always got holes in it from the prickles. We've got a plumtree at the back and a random tree which produces red berry thingys which only the birds can safely eat!

oooh, homegrown cherries and peaches are the absolute best, except for maybe homegrown blackberries

Actually we've got those too, they just haven't bloomed yet. ;) They're a hybrid strain actually, no thorns whatsoever. It's kind of interesting, the first batch is always ripe EXACTLY during 4th of July weekend. I have wondered how that would be affected if we lived farther north. (I'm currently about an hour above the GA/TN border.)

I`m looking forwards to mid May, I`ll be getting my sweetcorn, Chinesse squash, courgete (just 1 plant this year), and a pumpkin :)

after that it`s just a case of watering and weeding and waiting.

talking of waiting, I`ve planted Asparagus seeds, apparently it`ll be a good 4 years before I can eat any! now THAT`S Patience :)

Guest Dak Giles

I usually grow the vegetables/fruits that are expensive to buy in my area:

• sugar peas
  • green beans
  • strawberries
  • broccoli
  • cauliflower
  • green peppers

"One letter in one word can change the world" - Dak Giles